Pellets or biobricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flame On

Sep 25, 2008
Southeast PA
My in-laws can't do the firewood shuffle. They thought that pellets were the answer, but ended up being a bit put off by all the electronics and moving parts. I suggested a wood stove with biobricks... Thoughts?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, if biobricks had been common (or if I'd ever even heard of them), when I put in my basement pellet stove, I might have thought harder about putting in a wood stove. The attraction is that if there is a power outage then you still have heat. Fortunately I now live in town (I didn't before and had a wood stove - which came in mighty handy when power was out for 4+ days), so haven't had any major power outages in 4 years (KOW).

However, if no one is home to feed the wood stove on a regular basis, then pellets win hands down.