New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjones22

Mar 25, 2014
Maine
This is my first year burning wood pellets. From what I have read the brand to buy changes every year. I am located in southern Maine. Any recommendation on what brand of pellet to buy. I have a vistaflame vf55. Something that will put out decent heat not a lot of ash and will not break the bank. I am looking at getting 3 or 4 tons.

Thanks

This is my first year burning wood pellets. From what I have read the brand to buy changes every year. I am located in southern Maine. Any recommendation on what brand of pellet to buy. I have a vistaflame vf55. Something that will put out decent heat not a lot of ash and will not break the bank. I am looking at getting 3 or 4 tons.

Thanks
You want the same thing we all want. Decent heat output, low ash, and cheap! If you have not burned any pellets yet, you would be very foolish to buy 3 or 4 tons of anything without burning at least two or three bags first in your stove , preferably in colder weather. Better safe than sorry. Buy a few bags of each pellet which you are likely to buy later by the ton from a trusted supplier. Wait until cold weather arrives, and do your test burns, and you will make a very informed decision. But sitting on 4 tons of pellets you do not like really sucks! Be sure you store the pellets in a dry area, as once the shrink wrap is off, the pallet of pellets are subject to water damage if not stored under cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.