Pelpro aftermarket combustion fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That is a big diff from most stoves, most are 1/30 - 1/50 hp that is why its turning the big blade so easy

That is a big diff from most stoves, most are 1/30 - 1/50 hp that is why its turning the big blade so easy
I could be wrong, I just used the first conversation chart I came across, (volts x amps)/745.7, not sure if this is correct or not.

2900 with the little blade is actually turning around 2400. I have that same motor from pellet head and they actually have a contract with a Chinese co. Who builds the motors for them and they are over rated on RPM. Mine will not keep a fire in my old big-e. Had to go back to a fasco a143. Maybe the bigger pettals will help on the new blade you ordered.

I finished testing the 3 fans.
1. The one I got from zhass which is an AO Smith and appears to be an original.
2. The one that was in the stove was a FASCO which is obviously a replacement.
3. The NBK paddle fan which is new.
I also tried the 9 blade paddle on the AO Smith.
Fan Test.jpg
I tested the suction by blocking the intake and the pressure with a wide open intake.
The best performance is with the AO Smith. The squirrel cage on the FASCO has many more vanes than the AO Smith.
The worst performers were both the paddle fans.
Since I have no method of testing air flow, I used pressure as an indicator.

12-Blade-NBK.jpg AO-Smith.jpg AO-Smith-9Blade.jpg FASCO.jpg
Squirrel.jpg

Interesting. This is neat to see, a lot of work to go through though and money, but im happy to see that the fan worked for you. I guess my question is though, does the stove burn as it should now? We're you able to fine tune the fan and can you hear the speed differences now? It sucks that the other NBK didn't work for you, the replacement has worked awesome in mine. I will message you and maybe we can work something out if you want to sell it!

I finished testing the 3 fans.
1. The one I got from zhass which is an AO Smith and appears to be an original.
And yes, that is the original equipment. Believe it or not I bought the stove 2 seasons ago brand new from Menards, they had it clearanced out to $300, but was only available in a few stores in MN, WI, and IL. I had mine shipped from a store in Chicago, with $100 frieght. I think they must of had some of these sitting in the back of a warehouse somewhere, because they quit making them years ago! Either way, I was happy to find it, my mom has had one she bought brand new in 2007, and it is still going strong, original fans and igniter!

I bought the stove 2 seasons ago brand new from Menards, they had it clearanced out to $300,
That's an amazing price. I bought this one used for $600 although the seller delivered it and brought it in the house so I didn't have to lift it. The prices for stoves vary tremendously on Craigslist. $400 for a rust bucket to $3500.

I have not installed the fan as yet. Just finished testing last night. At this point I'm not convinced the whole problem is the fan. Look at the color difference between the two squirrel cages. Yours seems to be burning much cleaner. The picture of mine was AFTER I cleaned it again. Guess I'll just install this one and see what happens.

I might post my test results on a new thread and see if there is any more input. Your thoughts?

That's an amazing price. I bought this one used for $600 although the seller delivered it and brought it in the house so I didn't have to lift it. The prices for stoves vary tremendously on Craigslist. $400 for a rust bucket to $3500.

I have not installed the fan as yet. Just finished testing last night. At this point I'm not convinced the whole problem is the fan. Look at the color difference between the two squirrel cages. Yours seems to be burning much cleaner. The picture of mine was AFTER I cleaned it again. Guess I'll just install this one and see what happens.

I might post my test results on a new thread and see if there is any more input. Your thoughts?
I would, after seeing the fans, still suspect the possibility of a fan issue. The replacement that was in it wasn't the right fan. Looks like it was a 5" squirrel cage, and although you would think that bigger round should be better, I don't know if it would be ideally positioned over the stove where it mounts up and pulls air through. Also I wonder if it didn't vary speed either, which would cause issues. Fingers crossed that the original one works out much better, and that you can sit back and relax, besides pulling the whole assembly once in a while to clean it.

I would say put the one I sent in, you know you had issues with the fasco previous, so give the original a shot, and see. I guess if it's burning like it should, let it run for a couple months before you pull it apart to clean it, and then decide if you feel like you can go a full season without messing with it. My mom ran hers for the first 8 years without ever once touching the exhaust blower... Not saying that's okay, but I would think you could make it through a full heating season at least, and do a good spring cleaning and oil the bushings on the motor. And don't get me wrong, there will be some build up on the blades after a little running, but it should still work fine, as long as the blower housing isn't filling with Ash.

You may want to try some diff pellet brands also to see if you can find some that burn cleaner. I know in my area its a limited supply and all of them have a lot more ash than previous years.

You may want to try some diff pellet brands also to see if you can find some that burn cleaner. I know in my area its a limited supply and all of them have a lot more ash than previous years.
Very limited in this area as well. Choice of the locally made hardwood pellets or those sold by Tractor Supply. Those from TS seems to produce less heat and more ash.

Very limited in this area as well. Choice of the locally made hardwood pellets or those sold by Tractor Supply. Those from TS seems to produce less heat and more ash.
So I just came across this and was wondering how everything has worked out? Is the stove working as it should, or did it continue to give you trouble?

The stove is working. I use it for perhaps 8 hrs a day. About every 30-40 days I have to do a complete cleaning of the fan and all the air passages. Kind of a pain to get access to those. I get very little ash in the bottom of the drop tee on the vent pipe. That's a good thing I believe.

You stove was designed with the squirrel cage I wouldn’t recommend changing to the impeller blade. Unless you have a magnehelic guage and can virify the draft could be matched. Alot of testing!
Hello
The squirrel cage blower was made by A.O. Smith and no longer available. It was a poor choice because the squirrel cage collected ash, difficult to clean and easily got out of balance and failed. Pelpro now now owned by HHT now makes an impeller replacement fan as the OEM factory replacement. The new blower is 3,000 RPM just like the original.