Pelpro pp130 convection fan shutting down - stove overheating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jillmill

Dec 18, 2022
Rock, Michigan
New here. Looking for HELP!

I have a Pelpro pp130 which was purchased in 2017. I've never had any trouble with it until this year. I cleaned and vacuumed the fire box, removed the plates, took the exhaust fan off and vacuumed that, took the convection fan apart and vacuumed and brushed off all the dust. My problem is the convection fan stops running with the flame high. The stove top on front by the hopper handle got so hot that I couldn't put my hand on it. It was so hot it was like putting your hand on a range burner. The inside of the hopper where it angles up to the front of the stove from the square lower part also got that hot. Good thing I didn't have pellets that far up in the hopper.

Anyway... I can't find any info on what component(s) tells the fan to start and then run on high to cool the stove and blow the hot air into the room. I will have to order the defective part and replace it. However I don't know which part to order so would have to start ordering and replacing parts until something cured the problem. I would also like to know what should have shut the stove down when it got so hot. That can't be normal.

Thank you for any help!

The fan motor is failing or the
the control box is failing 0r failed
Welcome to the Forum.

Thake it out clean, lub and test
Clean the winding and armature with compressed air
Don't just throw parts at it could become expensive.

Thake it out clean, lub and test
Clean the winding and armature with compressed air
Don't just throw parts at it could become expensive.
TY! I already took it out and cleaned it real well and blew it off with a compressor. When the stove first lit off the fan was working fine. Went from low to high when the heat rose. I thought all was well. I went outside for a short time and when I came back in the flame was high and the fan was either low or not blowing at all. The stove was dangerously hot.

So... the fan was working fine but then just quit. Once the stove cooled down it came back on high speed.

Is there anything else that could do that?

Sounds like what happened with mine. The room fan would work at first and then as it ran more and more it would stop.

For me it ended up just needing a replacement room fan. Super simple to replace.

Sounds like what happened with mine. The room fan would work at first and then as it ran more and more it would stop.

For me it ended up just needing a replacement room fan. Super simple to replace.
TY! I ordered a new convection fan and also exhaust fan. Hopefully that'll fix the problem! I can't find anyone in the area that services pellet stoves so if the new fan(s) fix the problem I'll be very happy!

Reactions: Jeremy6500
New convection fan in place and seems to be doing the trick! TY for all the replies!!

I also ordered a new exhaust fan through Amazon. I didn't fit even though it had the right part #812-4400. This is the description:

Danson Pelpro Combustion Exhaust Blower Motor Fan 812-3381 812-4400.​

The holes on the mounting plate didn't line up correctly. I could get all the screw heads through the holes but the screws were right on the edge of the holes so I couldn't spin it into the slots. I returned it and ordered another one from a different dealer. Hope the new one fits!

New here, I sure wish that I would have found this forum, a few weeks back.
Mine worked wonderful, until November 16. We cleaned the stove very well that evening, in preparation for me having hand surgery the following day.
At 3:00 AM, my wife woke me and said the stove was out. Really long story, but we've been fighting issues every since then. Some related, some not.
Although PelPro tech, appears to try and help, I'm afraid that sometimes it's not much more than a guess.
Is there any schematics or order of operating sequence available? It sure would help, when troubleshooting.
More under a new thread.

Thank you johneh, that is the type of manual that I was searching for.
With the sequence of operation and component test spec, it will greatly simplify troubleshooting and minimize "parts changing".