Pelpro pp130 draft/trim help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caleb90

Oct 2, 2021
Ky
Hello all, i have searched a bunch about this and really couldnt find any help. Yes i know the pelpro is a cheaper stove , but atleast its made by quadrafire. Any ways i have 3ft of horizontal pipe with 1-45 elbow i do have the oak hooked up.i keep getting alot of ash build up in the fire pot and my glass seems to turn black fast. I have adjusted the trim from -2 to +2 and dosnt seem to do much. From what i have found is that the trim adjusts both feed rate and combustion fan speed. To me i feel that with such a short run i would need less draft fan speed? Or will i need more as there is no natural draft going on? Also i am using lowes greenway oak pellets, i am not to impressed with them. We just moved to kentucky so pellet choices are slim, the other brand i can get local is somerset pellets. I sure do miss my barefoot pellets. The ash build up that i am getting, fills the bottom on the pot and comes out in lumps. I clean it daily because after about 24hr the pot is so plugged the flame is terribly lazy.. lmk what yall think

Hello all, i have searched a bunch about this and really couldnt find any help. Yes i know the pelpro is a cheaper stove , but atleast its made by quadrafire. Any ways i have 3ft of horizontal pipe with 1-45 elbow i do have the oak hooked up.i keep getting alot of ash build up in the fire pot and my glass seems to turn black fast. I have adjusted the trim from -2 to +2 and dosnt seem to do much. From what i have found is that the trim adjusts both feed rate and combustion fan speed. To me i feel that with such a short run i would need less draft fan speed? Or will i need more as there is no natural draft going on? Also i am using lowes greenway oak pellets, i am not to impressed with them. We just moved to kentucky so pellet choices are slim, the other brand i can get local is somerset pellets. I sure do miss my barefoot pellets. The ash build up that i am getting, fills the bottom on the pot and comes out in lumps. I clean it daily because after about 24hr the pot is so plugged the flame is terribly lazy.. lmk what yall think
Somerset pellets are very good pellets.

I have a PP130 and eventually my burn pot will fill up with the ash that you are describing, but it doesn’t happen for quite some time. Probably 5-7 days. I believe the stove came with a pot scraper. I wonder if you can open it and scrape the pot to break the ash up and have it fall through the holes.

For me, I don’t worry about it. I shut the stove down briefly every 3-5 days, pull the pot out and dump the ash. Biggest issue I have found with the ash build up is when the stove needs to shut down and then start agian. Ash buildup keeps the igniter from reaching the pellets.

As far as soot buildup, what setting is your stove running on? Mine get noticeably more soot if it runs lower.

My trim doesn’t seem to do a whole lot.

Currently have been running setting 5 with trim at -1.5 . Keeping our home at 72 degrees with this cold snap in kentucky. Burning between 1.5-2 bags a day.

Currently have been running setting 5 with trim at -1.5 . Keeping our home at 72 degrees with this cold snap in kentucky. Burning between 1.5-2 bags a day.
Sounds about like the amount I was burning. When burning on 5 is it a large or small flame? How many blinks on the dial?

Reason I ask is because 5 is a temp setting, not a feed rate setting. Your stoves with ramp up and down to try and keep it that temp. Could be burning at a low setting a lot to stay at temp setting 5.

For the most part ash and soot build up usually has to do with lack or air flow. It doesn’t sound like your exhaust is overly restrictive. I would start with cleaning entire exhaust path super well. Then making sure all the holes in the burn pot are open with no buildup. I know some people have drilled out holes a little bigger to add more air flow through the burn pot.

Stove and pipe is new with less than half a ton run through it. Every time i empty the fire pot i make sure the hole arnt plugged. I just did a complete inside clean today, took all the pannels out and such. I think i am going to try different pellets, really leaning to that being the problem. Yes on setting 5 it ramps up and down. Will be roaring for a while then will drop down to a small flame

Reactions: Jeremy6500