Pelpro PP130 not igniting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robnjes

Dec 17, 2022
California
We bought a Pelpro PP130 and it is not igniting. We have done the start up sequence twice. It drops pellets, blower fan runs and nothing then it starts to flash red. When we got the stove we had to replace the control board because a capacitor was broken off of the board. We replaced that and thought that would be the end of our issues but now it will not ignite. Any ideas on how we can troubleshoot or fix this issue? I’m extremely frustrated at this point. Thanks for any advice .

Sounds like an issue with the igniter. I have had to replace mine on my PP130 before.

Either the igniter is bad or it is not getting voltage. I have attached the service manual which should show how to test it. If you need to heat with the stove prior to a replacement igniter arriving you can manually light the stove. I did that while waiting for mine to arrive.

Attachments

• PP130ServiceMAnual.pdf
    8.9 MB · Views: 837
I had a Pelpro PP130 professionally installed a couple weeks ago. I have used it only a total of 2-3 days since it was installed. Last night it shut down while I was sleeping. When I awoke I tried to start it up again. I noticed that all of the sudden the window was covered in black soot. I cleaned it off and vacuumed some ashes out of the fire box. I have tried several times to get it going but I cannot see the pilot light and I am getting 4 red light flashes indicating "missed ignition". Can anyone advise this newby as to what is likely going on and how to fix it?

I had a Pelpro PP130 professionally installed a couple weeks ago. I have used it only a total of 2-3 days since it was installed. Last night it shut down while I was sleeping. When I awoke I tried to start it up again. I noticed that all of the sudden the window was covered in black soot. I cleaned it off and vacuumed some ashes out of the fire box. I have tried several times to get it going but I cannot see the pilot light and I am getting 4 red light flashes indicating "missed ignition". Can anyone advise this newby as to what is likely going on and how to fix it?
Is it lighting the pellets at all, but then saying missed ignition? If so, it is not the ignitor. If not it is probably the ignitor.

Can you here the exhaust fan turn on when you turn the thermostat knob to try and light it?

Black soot is an air flow issue 99.9% of the time. The way the PP130 registers flame is with a sensor that screws to the outside of the housing where the exhaust fan is. If it doesn't register enough of a temperature change fast enough it thinks the stove didn't light and it shuts down.

First step is always a 100% cleaning job. Remove the back plates inside the stove and vacuum everything out. Then completely clean the exhaust venting. I use a leaf blower to clean mine.

I have had this happen on mine when there was enough ash built up on the inside of the housing to insulate the sensor. If yours was just installed, then I wouldn't think that was the issue.

1. Make sure the exhaust fan turns on. You should be able to hear it. I can't remember if you can see anything spinning on the outside of the motor.
2. If you hear it kick on and see it spinning, go to the end of the vent and make sure you are getting good flow out it. If not the vent is clogged of possibly the fan inside the housing is messed up (even though the fan motor is spinning).

There is also the service manual attached to the post above this. There is a troubleshooting flow chart in it.

Is it lighting the pellets at all, but then saying missed ignition? If so, it is not the ignitor. If not it is probably the ignitor.

Can you here the exhaust fan turn on when you turn the thermostat knob to try and light it?

Black soot is an air flow issue 99.9% of the time. The way the PP130 registers flame is with a sensor that screws to the outside of the housing where the exhaust fan is. If it doesn't register enough of a temperature change fast enough it thinks the stove didn't light and it shuts down.

First step is always a 100% cleaning job. Remove the back plates inside the stove and vacuum everything out. Then completely clean the exhaust venting. I use a leaf blower to clean mine.

I have had this happen on mine when there was enough ash built up on the inside of the housing to insulate the sensor. If yours was just installed, then I wouldn't think that was the issue.

1. Make sure the exhaust fan turns on. You should be able to hear it. I can't remember if you can see anything spinning on the outside of the motor.
2. If you hear it kick on and see it spinning, go to the end of the vent and make sure you are getting good flow out it. If not the vent is clogged of possibly the fan inside the housing is messed up (even though the fan motor is spinning).

There is also the service manual attached to the post above this. There is a troubleshooting flow chart in it.
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you so much for your response. I can hear the fan come on, and pellets are dropping from the hopper into the burn pot but the pellets are not burning at all. This stove was just installed and has been used for a total of maybe 36 hours. When troubleshooting this morning I did vacuum out the fire chamber. I did not do anything with the plates, however. I guess that is the next thing to try...

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you so much for your response. I can hear the fan come on, and pellets are dropping from the hopper into the burn pot but the pellets are not burning at all. This stove was just installed and has been used for a total of maybe 36 hours. When troubleshooting this morning I did vacuum out the fire chamber. I did not do anything with the plates, however. I guess that is the next thing to try...
If its not lighting at all, then manually light them and see if it registers and stays on.

If its not lighting at all I would think the ignitor is bad.

So, open the door and literally light the pellets with a match? Thanks again...
Yes, for a test. You may have to jump the vacuum switch since you are opening the door.

When all the pellets drop in, then open the door and squirt the pellets with some safe accelerant. I use hand sanitizer, but they also sell pellet stove specific stuff. Then use a lighter etc to light it. I use one of the grill lighters.

Then shut the door. The stove should register that it lit and continue to run as designed.

I did this when my ignitor went out in the middle of winter. That way I still had heat while waiting for the ignitor to arrive

If it is a new stove then it is under warranty
Get the seller to look at it.
Yes light it manually until he gets to you