Percentage of degree days remaining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stint9

Oct 25, 2009
Northern NJ
Our local Rural Electric Coop recently put out a very helpful chart for the *average* heating season for Northern NJ.

Shows percentage remaining *daily* from 100% on Sep 1 through 01% on May 23

Just a couple waypoints: 75% remains on Dec 13.
50% Jan 22
25% Mar 3

Comes in real handy for me when watching my yearly wood pile going down

stint9 said:
Our local Rural Electric Coop recently put out a very helpful chart for the *average* heating season for Northern NJ.

Shows percentage remaining *daily* from 100% on Sep 1 through 01% on May 23

Just a couple waypoints: 75% remains on Dec 13.
50% Jan 22
25% Mar 3

Comes in real handy for me when watching my yearly wood pile going down
That time frame would probably work just about anywhere in North America.
I'll be checking my wood pile on Jan. 22 to see if I got half left.

Thanks for the info. I put those dates on my calendar and it will be good to see how I am doing vs. my prediction.

Since I was a child (a long time ago...) we've said that you need half of your wood pile yet on Ground Hog Day.

Very interesting... I just calculated out that so far I've been heating for about 1500 degree days this season. Last season I heated for a total of about 4600 but started a bit later than this year. I'm thinking that puts us about on par of that 25% complete number now. Lots of variables come into play of course... Will have to watch and see how the numbers do play out.

There is a great site for anyone who wants to see their own degree days - http://www.degreedays.net/ you can find a station near your home then have it run a report that will give you the actual numbers (or averages) for the last few years in a spreadsheet.

According to this, we are two weeks away from the heating midpoint so whatever wood I consumed by then, I should consume that much more again. If it holds true I will consume half as much wood as I did last year.

LLigetfa said:
According to this, we are two weeks away from the heating midpoint so whatever wood I consumed by then, I should consume that much more again. If it holds true I will consume half as much wood as I did last year.

I hate to count my chickens before they hatch, but... if I assume I use another 1/2 cord in the next two weeks (current burn rate), then double it to get my full season's use I could land at just about 3.6 cords for the year - that would be nice on many fronts. Not only would I have some wood left to carry over to next year, but that would be under last years burn - and I used 260 gallons of oil to supplement last year that I'm not doing this year so I consider this to be quite an improvement.

Oh well, nice to speculate and all but final accounting doesn't come until stove is shut down for the season as a lot can happen between now and then eh?

Ja, as Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over till it's over". You'd think maybe after 12 years of burning in this house with this stove I'd know when I have that one particular split in hand which makes it the midpoint, that I'd know it but I think age has something to do with it. Soon I'll be able to hide my own Easter eggs. That, and the only certainty is change and the weather is no exception.

Still, at this rate I have enough wood laid up for next Winter and the Winter after that so I get to skip one year of wood processing. I buy 12 cord at a time which should do me for 2 years and I did that 2 years in a row to get ahead.

My problem is I installed a second wood stove out in my shop this fall and have been out there a lot lately working on various projects, and of course I have been feed that stove as well as the one in the house, so I really don't know where I'll be at by the end this burning season.
I'll tell you one thing for sure though, I sure am enjoying the warmth out in my shop.....Oh Yeah.......... :coolsmirk:

Hey Stint9,

I am guessing that's Sussex County Rural Electric. I hope their numbers are correct. I just breached the halfway point on my pile so I may be off by a week or 2. I'd rather not buy any wood. I might be able to get those last few weeks on pallet boards. I am sure it's based on years of statistics. However, we could get slammed or spring could come early. All I know is - it's not going to be spring like this weekend. I hate watching those neatly stacked rows disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.