Perfect storm in Me and NH propane, oil and natural gas issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Lot to be said for a few cords of wood in the backyard. Some snippets

Interruptible (Spot) natural gas prices have been peaking 3 to 4 times the normal cost. A local manufacturer in my area is curtailing operations and sending folks home until the prices stabilize. Firm gas folks like residential customers are covered with fixed price contracts but these price spikes will end up in their bills one of these days. The hourly and day ahead power prices in the region are also shooting up as most natural gas power plants are on interruptible gas and even if they have extra capacity the natural gas supply to the region is limited

Propane is in short supply in Maine as the normal supply route was closed by the train derailment and fire in Quebec last summer. There was another train derailment to the east of Maine in New Brunswick today that will may also impact the region adversely.

The biggest independent heating oil supplier in southern NH is having issues keeping up with demand. Their phone system is conveniently not working and prepaid folks are running out of oil. The state and the owner is not saying a lot but I expect the owner didn't buy adequate futures contracts to cover his paid in advance demand and rather depended on the spot market which typically dries up in winter due to issues with bulk deliveries from barges that tend to slow down due to rotten winter weather. Some folks are filling up their tanks with diesel fuel hauled home in five gallon containers. I expect that if the dealer survives, once it warms up and the oil demand drops in the region that he can cover his customers with spot oil.

On the other forum I frequent there have been a lot of posts like "furnace died" and stuff. I don't know why anybody would live in the North and not have a backup source of heat should electricity go out, the oil truck can't get to you in time, etc. Too much depends on heat to not have at least one backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.