Perplexed?? Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
Im well versed in what buckthorn looks like having a lot of it on my property but i have never seen it blossom with big beautiful blossoms so its got me stumped. Its the only one out there in blossom too. I took some pictures in the dwindling light. I know the pictures arent the best, its on the side of a steep hill and hard to get to. Its buckthorn right? is it supposed to flower? Somethings just not adding up here.

tree 001.jpg

looks like a buckthorn leaf to me
tree 005.jpg

probably 15 ft tall
tree 006.jpg

just loaded with blossoms
tree 007.jpg

Cherry?

Maybe a type of apple/crabapple? Because of canopy competition, the silhouette of the tree may not be typical for what we usually see of apple/crabapple growing in the open.

I believe you're onto something TreePointer. If Buckthorn doesnt blossom then im thinking you're right it has to be some variety of apple or crab apple. To me the bark looks like buckthorn but now that its more light out i can see the leaves differ a little bit from the buckthorn next to it. Growing with so much competition around it must have deformed it into a tall scraggly looking tree.

tree 009.jpg

The leaves in question are on the left, buckthorn is on the right so they do differ somewhat, but i compared them to the apple, plum, cherry and peach trees i have in the yard and they dont match any of those either. Guess it will be interesting in a few months when they fruit starts to form what exactly it is. Guessing some variant of an apple tree. Kind cool where it grew and how it fought for life so im interested in seeing what it is.
tree 010.jpg