Petit Godin 3726 - help! air intake valve seized

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mjolkmjolk

Feb 24, 2022
Belleville
Hello all, I recently picked up a petit godin wood stove very cheap and it looks to be in overall pretty good condition, however I cannot get the air intake valve to turn. I have seen videos of the valve functioning, unfortunately I can’t seem to gather an understanding of how the valve is meant to operate internally. I also have not been able to find any diagrams online. I have used naval grease to break down the rust. I tried turning the knob with a socket, which only badly chipped the enamel (stupid, stupid).

Here are some photos. Really at a loss and don’t want to do anymore damage. Any help appreciated!

Front of valve:
D9A08F34-F9CA-43FE-A60F-955AD7D86470.jpeg
Back of valve inside door (removed the nut) … where does the air actually come through??
D8DB8FCE-0CC0-4CE9-85A1-9366CE226546.jpeg
Model number if needed:
E72F02CB-F3B0-40D6-A024-211319530FC4.jpeg
Cat for scale :)
C8EB24B5-D046-44DC-B272-BA5798573D81.jpeg
Thank you very much!

Heat the area around the bolt and liberally spray it with PB blaster or WD-40. Do that a few times and see if it will loosen.

Get a small wire brush and spray the back of it there with PB blaster(Not wd-40), then try to clean it up with the wire brush. After you get what you can off, spray again, liberally, with pb blaster. Wait 30 mins, and do it again. Wait 15 and try turning it. If nothing, spray again and wait overnight.
There is no real secret instant trick, you are trying to break up the rust in the threads, it will require finesse. These are normal challenges in working with vintage and antique stoves, im glad you got it very cheap. This is one of the reasons guys like us pay very little for unrestored vintage stoves.

It takes time to rust together, so it takes time to soak and loosen. PB Blaster, Aero-Kroil, Liquid Wrench, your choice of favorite rust penetrant.

Do not be tempted to put a big wrench on the square head. Be gentle working it back and forth as you work the penetrant into the threads.

And put silver anti-seize on the threads when you get it loose!

The air comes in the hole behind the damper. When it spins open the damper moves away from the door.

Get a small wire brush and spray the back of it there with PB blaster(Not wd-40), then try to clean it up with the wire brush. After you get what you can off, spray again, liberally, with pb blaster. Wait 30 mins, and do it again. Wait 15 and try turning it. If nothing, spray again and wait overnight.
There is no real secret instant trick, you are trying to break up the rust in the threads, it will require finesse. These are normal challenges in working with vintage and antique stoves, im glad you got it very cheap. This is one of the reasons guys like us pay very little for unrestored vintage stoves.
Have you ever tried Aero-Kroil? Expensive, but has loosened brake drums and steam engine parts I was surprised came apart. Time is the secret. Heat and cool gently a bunch of times.

Easy way to get a stuck nut loose is put a socket on a extension in boiling water. Put the hot socket on nut. It expands it evenly with pressure on it a few seconds, turning right off the bolt or stud.

If the door comes off a stove easy you can boil water on a stove in a tea kettle. Use the steam to heat the parts around the bolt. Nice even heat better than a torch on antiques.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Have you ever tried Aero-Kroil? Expensive, but has loosened brake drums and steam engine parts I was surprised came apart. Time is the secret. Heat and cool gently a bunch of times.

Easy way to get a stuck nut loose is put a socket on a extension in boiling water. Put the hot socket on nut. It expands it evenly with pressure on it a few seconds, turning right off the bolt or stud.

If the door comes off a stove easy you can boil water on a stove in a tea kettle. Use the steam to heat the parts around the bolt. Nice even heat better than a torch on antiques.
Interesting, Ill try that out for sure!

Hey there. An aside question for you. I recently bought a godin 3726, looks just like yours with the rusted skin. But when it arrived the back panel was missing. I've been wracking my brains on how to re-skin it. But noticed in your pic with the model number, the skin is there with rivets on it, so maybe I just need a piece. Could you take a pic or two of the back? Someone advised i just need the measurements of the back and can get a panel mDe; but im not sure. It might point me in the right direction. Thanks heaps. 🌹

Screenshot_20220910-121144_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220910-121351_Gallery.jpg

Hello all, I recently picked up a petit godin wood stove very cheap and it looks to be in overall pretty good condition, however I cannot get the air intake valve to turn. I have seen videos of the valve functioning, unfortunately I can’t seem to gather an understanding of how the valve is meant to operate internally. I also have not been able to find any diagrams online. I have used naval grease to break down the rust. I tried turning the knob with a socket, which only badly chipped the enamel (stupid, stupid).

Here are some photos. Really at a loss and don’t want to do anymore damage. Any help appreciated!

Front of valve:
View attachment 292596
Back of valve inside door (removed the nut) … where does the air actually come through??
View attachment 292597
Model number if needed:
View attachment 292598
Cat for scale :)
View attachment 292595
Thank you very much!
Ps I also found these godin handles. Hope it helps 🌹
Godin door opener https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222324954154?hash=item33c399942a:g:060AAOSw4GVYNv-w

Help! My Petit Godin air valve is also stuck. I've tried WD40 double action and wire brushing. I've tried liquid rust destroyer (Julien, a French brand that I happened to have). I live in Spain and can't get PB Blaster or Aero-Kroil I've seen mentioned in relation to this problem. Please help. I've been toiling away for five days and it's not budging Thanks

IMG_20231118_142843.jpg

Hi. I tried heating the spinner with a hairdryer but it didn't work. I thought about using a steaming kettle. I don't have anything else to hand. What do you suggest? Until I free the air vent I can't use the stove because it just seems to go out.
I used the stove several years ago but since then it's been stored in a damp place so rust has become a problem. Thanks

The spinner is rusted in the closed position?

Can you remove the door, brace it so the inside faces up, and then let gravity help pull the oil down?

I've tried unsuccessfully to remove the door. The pins are no longer rusted but they appear to be capped on the tops to prevent them coming out. I have the impression that the entire pin comes out because the bottom heads are not capped. However I'm not able to lift them out. Probably need two pairs of hands. The door is mega heavy too. I'm spraying the spinning valve several times a day front and back. It's been about s week now that I've been at it. On the other hand I suppose it has been neglected for 10 years +. Do you think it will free up eventually?

Hard to say. We haven't seen a picture of it. I imagine it will though. Its amazing what time, oil and heat will do to free stuck bolts. I imagine that youtube will have thousands of videos with ideas. If you can get the door off, your local auto mechanic will have the tools and experience to unseize it too.

Here's the position that the spinner valve is stuck in. I'm not certain which way to try to turn it. Do you think it's open or closed? I only know that the flame burned itself out pretty quickly so I thought it was without air. The pins holding the doors on are not actually capped on closer inspection. But the doors don't lift off. I've tried wiggling them and opening them fully but they don't come up beyond the top of the pins. I'll try to video it.

IMG_20231124_133502.jpg

I steamed it with the kettle this morning but no joy there. I've sprayed it again. Do you think grease is a good idea or soap? Or would you persist with the penetrating oil?

I don’t think grease or the tea kettle will work. The hair dryer isn’t hot enough.

Does anybody you know have a propane torch? Alternately, you may be able to shrink that bolt enough with dry ice.

You may need to call in some help if you’re stuck more than internet coaching can help. Cast iron is brittle. Too much force can break it.