Pex for Domestic HW Coil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Feb 24, 2012
Southern Vermont
I recently upgraded my thermal storage tank for six hundred gallons to twelve hundred. I used EPDM this time instead of a drop in liner (readily available, cheaper ect.) The first tank I had all copper coils, 2-for heat and 1-for domestic HW. As I was having problems with hard water the domestic HW was plugging up so in my new tank I used pex tubing for a coil. Just regular pex no oxygen barrier. My wife complained she could smell hot rubber in the shower, (she complains about everything I do with my wood boiler) So I thought she was crazy??? But I noticed I too could smell it?? Any thoughts? Is it possible? Is it safe? Should I of used pex with oxygen barrier?

I have no idea on the rubber smell but want to relate a story that might be relevant.
A good friend manufactured a gray water heat recovery system years ago. He used PEX for the hx in the plastic container that held the gray water for some time, in order to exchange heat. The coil was immersed in gray water.
At some point after using it, he developed some weird intestinal issues. He wondered about whether anything was breaching the hx. I don't know. They went away when the system was abandoned.
I would suspect any immersed fittings, though. You might try moving any fittings outside of the tank.
Folks who have used PEX with the builditsolar.com design have not claimed this issue. It might be temperature driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.