pex plumbing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
Why do pex to polybutylene adapter couplings come with two crimp rings - one black and the other copper ? The outside diameter of the two kinds of pipe is the same (I understand the ID of pex is smaller, so it's important which end of the fitting is which). And my understanding is that even the pex crimp rings (the black one) is actually copper; so why can't you use those on both ends of the fitting ?

As long as you have a PB to PEX adapter The copper color should be for the PB and the black is for PEX.. The difference is the inside diameter, make sure you use a go/no go gauge. I think the ring color may be more for ID than anything else.

I'm confused, because the ring fits on the outside, so it doesn't make any difference what the ID of the pipe is (except to make sure to orient the brass fitting to insert the skinnier end into the PB pipe). Or maybe you mean the ID of the ring ? But why would it be different, if it's fitting around a pipe of the same OD ?

Like I said it may be for ID or possibly tinsel strength. I have used PEX rings on PB pipe in my house with no problems.

I don't use that style when I do pex. I use these. They are amazing..they ratched down and hold firm. Just don't try to remove them.

72e1eef0-893d-4494-9ce6-3aed2fafec69_1000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.