Phase 2 OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmurph2016

May 9, 2019
Mass
I’ve done some research but I’m getting conflicted answers. eith the new gasification boilers, from what I’ve read is you can’t burn green wood or throw anything in it and it’ll burn like the non gasser units. But can you burn pine and softwoods if they are seasoned in the new units?

Any EPA approved unit will REQUIRE seasoned firewood. All softwoods can be used as fuel in any stove, as long as it will be seasoned.

Any EPA approved unit will REQUIRE seasoned firewood. All softwoods can be used as fuel in any stove, as long as it will be seasoned.
Yes, I know the gasification units absolutely require seasoned wood! I did Some research and talked to someone who has one and they claim you can’t burn seasoned pine or any softwoods due to build up and less BTUs. I’m thinking maybe he’s incorrect about what you can and cannot burn.

There are many folks that *think* pine/softwoods can't be burned in any kind of stove. These folks usually have no experience and are relying on word of mouth as evidence. Next time you see someone that thinks soft woods can't be used in a stove ask them what experience they have doing so. I burn almost exclusively soft woods, Balsam Fir and Red Spruce, with minimal creosote accumulation in my stove or cookstove.

Reactions: MissMac
Be very careful on what research you read on OWBs, there is lot of hype from parties that have financial interest in selling them. That said, you are correct that any wood burning device indoor or outdoor is not going to meet emissions standards burning wood that has not been seasoned properly. As for hardwood or softwood, as long as its dried appropriately it really dont matter.

If you cant burn softwoods in them then that means there are a ton of places in the world (and the states) where you can't use a gasser apparently...which is simply not true.
Now, with that said, it is possible that some brands burn softwood better than others...my brother is researching going with a new gasser to replace their old CB, and said that he talked with a guy that really recommends going with lamda controls...said in his experience there is just too much screwing around with settings otherwise...I personally have no idea, just what I have heard...makes sense to me, seems like the ones I've seen its the more premium units that are lamda controlled...

The heatmaster I have runs pretty simply with a controller that opens and closes a damper and turns on a fan when the temperature drops below and turns off at 180. It also turns on ever 30-60 minutes to keep the coal bed lit. Might need to set how often in turns on to keep the coal bed burning and you might not get quite as many BYU’s out of each load, but there not a whole lot to adjust.

Threw the Christmas tree in there this afternoon and it ran just fine.

Threw the Christmas tree in there this afternoon and it ran just fine.
;lol
The whole thing, or cut up into "firewood"?

Cut it up nice. The once it got outside. The g100 fire box is pretty tiny.

Lambda is good. Varies the settings for changing conditions through a burn. But if you don't have Lambda and set it up for the majority of your burn condition, and keep your burns and wood consistent, there is no fiddling and you don't really lose a whole lot in burn efficiency. Mine has no controls at all and I haven't cleaned the chimney in 7 years now, which should be a decent sign.

Lambda is good. Varies the settings for changing conditions through a burn. But if you don't have Lambda and set it up for the majority of your burn condition, and keep your burns and wood consistent, there is no fiddling and you don't really lose a whole lot in burn efficiency. Mine has no controls at all and I haven't cleaned the chimney in 7 years now, which should be a decent sign.

I second this. Although I only have 3 years experience with my Eko I haven't had to adjust any air settings since the first month. I bump my fan speed up to 70% for the first hour than back to 50% for the rest of the burn. Seems to work for me, as it maintains a 15-20 degree dt throughout the burn and is smoke free within 10 minutes from startup. Of course this is with well seasoned wood.