PI40 auger motor Allen screw frozen after 20 years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BobOwens

Mar 19, 2023
Mass
Hi
Trying to get the Auger motor off and cannot get hex screw off. I have tried banging, pb, some heat etc. getting fire proof cloth tomorrow to really heat it.
It appears auger motor H5886 and auger shaft w lower bearing h5921. I assume the motor goes into shaft lower bearing as I cannot find any other bearing

My question. Do I have to buy the shaft as well if I I try to cut the bearing to get the motor out or is there a compatible bearing?

The stove has been rock solid for 20 years and I have never had to shut it down except
this weekend

Thanks

Heat and usually a bit of leverage on allen wrench with vice grips will allow them to break free. Got to be careful with torch being so close to lower bearing though. Assume the auger motor died thus the reason for removal attempt. The Winslow uses a long lasting double (upper and lower bearing) setup instead of bushings. The auger motor gearbox shaft slides into the auger assembly but I'd avoid cutting auger motor shaft off. The auger motor can get be tough to pull from auger even with the set screw loosened, so you'll at least have something to hold onto if there is difficulty separating the two.