Auger Problem on Quadrafire Santa Fe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jimmykins

Feb 21, 2024
upstate
I have a Quadrafire Santa Fe. It is approx 10 years old. It ran fine for years, same pellets, same conditions. In fact, it runs fine now, when it runs. The problem is the feed auger. I have put 4 new motors in (2 OEM, 2 aftermarket, interestingly, motors were all labeled the same) , and now have to put another in, and I can't figure out what is going on. The stove will work fine for a few weeks to a couple months after replacement, but then stops working. The auger motor itself is fine, it is turning. The auger is not turning, at least not while under load. First reaction..."the fool did not tighten the set screw on the auger." Set screw is tight, auger is tight, the problem in each case has been in the gear box. I can pull the auger/motor assembly out of the stove, and unit works perfectly. But when it is under load (in stove, with pellets) it will not turn the auger. The motor is definitely turning, on these motors the armature shaft is visible at the top, and you are able to touch/see it turning. It will turn fine when no load, but if it is in the stove trying to move pellets, or I grab the auger with channel locks, or take the auger off and grab the gearbox output shaft, it will not turn, although the motor does. I have taken the gear box apart on a couple, on the theory that the gears were stripped. They were not. Apparently one of the gears is spinning on its shaft. Anyone else have a problem with the auger like this, or know how to fix it? I looked at the auger from every angle, metaphorically and physically, and can see no problem, such as the auger binding on the chute walls or striking the bottom of hopper. I even shortened the auger 1/4" on the possibility that pellets were binding the shaft against the bottom of the hopper, to no avail. This is a mystery to me, and I would appreciate any help. FWIW, I am a mechanic and worked in a stove shop on pellet stoves for a few years, so I have a pretty fair background on pellet stoves. I cannot imagine having 5 bad gearboxes, so my working theory is that there is something causing the auger to bind, which then loosens the gear on its shaft. But I will be darned if I can figure out how or why. Thoughts, anyone?

Check the auger bushing may be worn out and
shifting the auger just enough to stop the auger
motor from turning

Check the auger bushing may be worn out and
shifting the auger just enough to stop the auger
motor from turning
I had a similar thought, and I did check it out. the bushing is fine, no wear, and the auger runs true. thanks for putting some thought into it.

There is an upper and lower bushing. Have you ever cleaned and lubricated them?
They can get tight when hot

There is an upper and lower bushing. Have you ever cleaned and lubricated them?
They can get tight when hot
ok, when you referred to the bushing, i assumed you are talking about the coupler bushing, which if loose would allow the auger to wander. but and upper and lower bushing, yeah, no, i don't see it. i mean the gearbox has tiny bushings on the input and output shaft, but as it is essentially a sealed unit, and packed with grease, i doubt it is designed to be greased. and esp not at the frequency these have been going bad, given the first one lasted almost 10 year. but i see nothing else that could be greased as a service item.

The Auger itself rides in an upper and lower bushing
one in the plate that holds the auger in and the other at the top

The Auger itself rides in an upper and lower bushing
one in the plate that holds the auger in and the other at the top
Correction
It has only 1 nylon bushing on the mounting plate and they do get sticky.