Piazzetta Monia igniter replacement (AKA, "It should be easy, but I can't find instructions.")

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

leycec

Jan 30, 2020
Ontario, Canada
My wife and I have proudly owned a Piazzetta Monia for the past seven years – which we can't recommend highly enough. It's a phenomenal device with few to no drawbacks... aside from the higher cost (which more than pays for itself over the long haul) and lackluster manual (which this forum more than happily replaces).

Sadly, we just hit our first minor pellet bump: the igniter appears to have finally given up the ghost this morning. Since the expected lifetime of igniters is only three to five years, I'd say we lucked out on that deal. We've already ordered a replacement igniter in from our resident Piazzetta dealer. We could contract the installation out, but would really prefer to install a replacement ourselves. Saving money better spent on pellets and improving our self-sufficiency game is the optimal long-term choice – eh?

But... we have no idea how to do this. As scientist-engineers, my wife and I fervently hope this should be feasible. The Piazzetta manual doesn't actually detail the process, though. There aren't even any YouTube videos on the subject, which was surprising and disappointing and disconcerting.

We did find a helpful overview discretely embedded in a two-year-old forum post from biom@ss:

My igniter just failed a few weeks ago, and I replaced it the other day without much of an issue (except sourcing the part-whew!). If you've replaced a spark plug in a car, it's not much different. You just pull the right side (standing in front of the stove and looking at it) panel, and use a 17mm wrench after unclipping the electrical connector plug.

In theory, that sounds trivial. Can anyone awesome in attendance confirm that the above instructions apply to the Monia as well? Also, just to be clear on terminology:
  • Does "pull the right side" just mean "unscrew the three screws affixing the rightmost panel to the stove and then remove that panel"?
  • Is the "electrical connector plug" the internal cable delivering voltage from the motherboard to the igniter?
  • Are these the only off-the-shelf tools that are needed?
    • One screwdriver.
    • One 17mm wrench.
If all the above, then we're good to go. After our replacement arrives tomorrow, we'll try manually replacing the igniter ourselves. If and when we fail... there's always Good Ol' Outsourced Labour. (Insert keening wail of anguish here.)

In the interim, we're currently igniting manually. Clearly, that sucks and is somewhat unsafe-ish. We'll report back after either painfully failing or brilliantly succeeding. Either way, popcorn is warranted.

Lastly, obligatory shoutouts to the Canadian Piazzetta crew (Pascal, et al.) for their dedicated presence throughout these forums. Thanks for keeping the pellet-fed flame alive!

Reactions: Ssyko
Hi yes you remove the sheet metal panel on the right side find all the Phillips head screws that hold it together remove the panel and you will see a nut sticking out of the side with a wire trace the wire to the connection unplug then un-thread the nut the Igniter will come out and then install the new one make the connection and you’re done

Whereabouts in Ontario are you?

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody. These are the most helpful forums... ever.

@Sootmaster1990: Well, those sure were some perfect instructions. If Piazzetta ever asks, I'll suggest they hire you as their next technical writer. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Pelleting In NJ: Sure! Wifey's a corporate research scientist in physics and biology for local biotech firms and I'm a software architect consultant. Yada-yada, eh? Everybody's got a resume. But if this isn't in our wheelhouse, we'll just rip up our credentials in shame and call it a day.

@johneh: We're out of a little-known lakeside community called Sharbot Lake – about an hour southwest of Ottawa as the flee-bitten crow flies. Ever since the municipality completed the K&P Trail late last year, local tourism (especially ATVs in the warmer seasons and skidoos everytime else) has seen a noticeable uptick. Maybe someone will finally hear about us someday. I wouldn't hold out for televised commercials, though. :cool:

We've had to delay the installation until early next week due to inevitable delays in receiving the igniter replacement from a neighbouring dealer in Peterborough, Ontario. We'll cap this thread off with a post-mortem as soon as we get the part in. Thanks again!

@johneh: We're out of a little-known lakeside community called Sharbot Lake – about an hour southwest of Ottawa as the flee-bitten crow flies. Ever since the municipality completed the K&P Trail late last year, local tourism (especially ATVs in the warmer seasons and skidoos everytime else) has seen a noticeable uptick. Maybe someone will finally hear about us someday. I wouldn't hold out for televised commercials, though.
Howdy Neighbor
No, it well I live just South of Lanark Off the Ferguson Falls Rd.
and Hiway 511 along the mighty Miss. Have run the K&P (kick and Push )
many times over the last 40 years