Piazzetta Sabrina - Close Lid Error

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PW271995

Sep 24, 2022
Vermont
I have a Piazzetta Sabringa 2.0 which we purchased new in February of 2021. The stove is great when it works, very efficient and heats our large home. The computer system on the stove has had some problems and we had it serviced a couple times now. The first error message we received pretty early that first year was close lid. This would happen often times hours after the stove had been running and obviously without the lid being opened. Once it throws that error the stove shuts down. We had our servicer out twice to make adjustments in the computer and that error message went away that season and the next. Towards the end of last winter we began to have a different set of issues. When the stove was turned off, normally the flue exhaust fan would run for 20-30minutes until the stove had cooled. It began to stop after 5-10minutes leaving the flue gasses in the and the stove noticeably hot. The simple fix to that problem is to simply restart the stove, it notices it is to hot to start and say wait for off and once again exhausting the flue gas until it cools. So that was a temporary solution but that is not a real solution. I reached out to my service again who was going to speak with a programmer again about making changes. The season ended and that issue never got resolved. I still need to chase that down. I cleaned the stove and flue at the end of the season very well to make sure it was ready for another season. This year when I start the stove for the first time it immediately goes to the close lid error before it will even start. This is new because it used to only do this after it had been running for some period of time. It first says control, startup phase 1, then close lid. If you leave that message running it eventually goes to E1 Error which could be a number of things. Anyways I am having the technician out again in 3 weeks but wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with these stoves. After trying everything I could think of I thought maybe if I rest to factory settings the error would go away but even that requires a programmers code. Any advice would be helpful.

Last edited:
Perhaps the lid switch needs to be properly adjusted: there are often adjustment slots for the screws holding the switch to the stove body, so the switch can be positioned so it gets activated properly when the lid is closed. Or the switch itself is intermittent, or the wiring terminals are loose. It could also be the pressure/vacuum switch, or its wiring, as the pressure switch is wired in-series with the hopper lid switch. I doubt this is a problem with the controller board.

The unusually short cool-down fan time is probably due to an exhaust temperature sensor ("smoke probe") that is not properly mounted, or is going bad. The temperature probe is usually press-fit thru a gasket into the exhaust pipe, if it is not far enough inserted, it can give these kinds of problems. Try checking its mounting and wire connections, if all looks good, try replacing it. Again, I doubt this is a control board problem.

Last edited:
I have an update. After working the stove over this weekend I checked the flue again which I had cleaned in the spring and i realized I had not gotten all of the ash out as I thought. What remained, due to the humidity of the summer months had solidified in to a mass obstructing the flue. So that is now corrected the stove is running well again. The shut down time is still screwed up. We timed it yesterday and it goes from pressing shut off button to fully shutting down in 8 minutes. The stove is still piping hot so I turn it on again, it senses it is to hot to start up and once again exhausts for 30 more minutes. The odd thing is that since it started doing this last winter it has neve once shut down properly. So whatever it is its consistent. I'm glad to having it running again even doing what it is doing. Hopefully I can figure out this last issue. I can have my servicer look at the smoke probe when they come.