Pickaroon Help - Which size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Awesome, you won't regret it. The handle will feel weird at first but give it a chance and you'll get used to it. It's a quality product.

I weighed the Fiskars vs the LogRite for a while actually when deciding what to get. I have a ton of Fiskars stuff so it made sense to look at. You're right that the handle is very comfortable, it's the same one that's on the hatchet and splitting axe. The main issues I had with it were A) was only 28" I think and those 2" really matter when dragging and B) it looks extremely lightweight. Like so light it's actually bad and might be hard to get into dense hardwood without really slamming it. And then C) the tip looks very thin, like it may want to dig in so much on softer woods it's a pain to get out or even worse, break. I know it has very good reviews but some of those concerns were mentioned even in the good reviews.

Also the Fiskars was unavailable at the time so that made it easy ;lol but I would have gotten the LogRite anyways.

Make sure to tell us what you think when it arrives!
I bought the Fiskars hookaroon and am pleased with its performance. It feels great in my hand and the tip sets easily and holds well in a range of wood hardnesses (red cedar to black locust). Setting in the latter takes a little extra effort. The tip is very thin but I've yet to bend it with a bad swing. I highly recommend it, and like others, can't believe I waited so long to get one.

I think I am going to buy a longer one now as well. I love my 14" pickeroon but I got my hands on a Council Tool 28" pickeroon this weekend. The handle needs a little refining for what I like, but the weight and balance were really nice. I can see myself using one quite a bit. Its is a bit pricey, but a one-time-purchase.

Reactions: Gearhead660