Picked up some Rocky Mtn pellets cheap........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

.......after I saw ad on Craig's list had pellets for sale for $300. I gave a call, and it turns out that a homeowner decided not to burn pellets this winter, and was selling the ones she had to clear out the basement. I asked how many bags she had and what brand, and she said she had 65 bags, and they were Rocky Mtn. Super Premium.

Now, I knew from reading on the forum that they were pretty good pellets ( I think their made from the beetle killed lodgepole pine), so I did some quick calculations, and they came out to $4.61/bag, or $230.50/ton.....pretty good price for SE NY State these days.

When I got to her house to pick them up (20 min. away), she actually had 70 bags, so I ended up paying $4.29/bag or $214.50/ton.

I guess it does pay to keep your eyes open in all different areas. I'm now sitting on 7.1 tons (oink oink OINK!)....that's it for me.....no more room. :cheese:

jtakeman said:
Heck of a deal macman!

Are you sure you don't have room for just a few more bags??? jk!

jay

Well........maybe I could squeeze a few on top of the 3 tons in the basement Jay, but I'd have to have a ladder to do it....are you offering any of your Barefoot's ? (I think $3.50/bag seems about right) :cheese:

Attachments

• Pellets:cellar.JPG
    Pellets:cellar.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 293
Shows the benefit of keeping your eyes open. Very good pellet by all accounts and a very good price. Now maybe you have to modify your signature to say "burning some oil this winter and some pellets". ;-)

Stentor said:
Shows the benefit of keeping your eyes open. Very good pellet by all accounts and a very good price. Now maybe you have to modify your signature to say "burning some oil this winter and some pellets". ;-)

Yep, it pays sometimes to "keep your eyes peeled", as my father used to say.

As for changing the signature, it's almost even steven now. When I figure the average cost of all the pellets, and also the same for the last 2 delivery's of oil, their about even......I guess if I don't feel like hauling a couple of bags of pellets up from the basement, I'll just turn the oil burner up.

Nice to have choices. :)

macman said:
Well........maybe I could squeeze a few on top of the 3 tons in the basement Jay, but I'd have to have a ladder to do it....are you offering any of your Barefoot's ? (I think $3.50/bag seems about right) :cheese:

Sounds like a deal! But I only have on bag left of the Barefoots! Don't think its worth a trip for you for just one bag. :cheese:

But if I find a deal on them I will share the info! ;-)

I have a guy next door to me that has 25 bags of the dreaded Mainewoods( 1st batch=bad pellets). He can't burn them in his stove. I think he's going to take the $1.00 a bag offer I gave him.

Anybody else have any bad pellets they can't burn? I will offer free removal an will dispose of them properly for ya! jk!

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.