Picked up the Varm today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbug

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2010
Upstate NY
My wife and I made the trek down to Lebanon, PA to pick up our Varmebaronen boiler today from Dean @ smokeless heat. I guess the new ones that are coming in are all set up for 115v, no converting needed, and they even put gauges on there in PSI/ Deg. F. I guess they need to dumb it down for those of us on this side of the pond :)

Now the fun of trying to figure out how to get it off of the truck and into the basement begins. Ill try to take some pics of the boiler room and the install for sharing later on.

Nice ! Better get busy. Winter will be here before you Know it. What was you heating with before ?

I'm interested to follow your install as I have one beginning now with a Biomass 40. Are you running storage?

Incidentally, I'm thinking you ran Route 15 down from NY?

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks Fellows!

Previously I was using a New Yorker oil fired boiler. I still plan to keep that in the system as backup, switched with the EMC control from STSS.

Bill,

I am running storage. Luckily, I was able to locate three 220 gallon tanks that were about to be scrapped, so for the cost of getting a truck to haul them, they were mine! They just fit into my basement, but made me a happy camper.

We didnt use route 15 actually. We took 87 to 84, then went down 209 through the water gap. It was a little longer, but more relaxing than just sticking to the main highways.

So,

anyone have any tips for straightening sheet metal on a boiler? :(

Didn't go down the stairs as planed ?

Not so much.

We had it strapped to a heavy duty hand truck, and were working it onto the top step. We werent exactly even, and one tire went over the edge before the other. Turns out the Varm has a heavier front than a back, and it shifted on the cart. Where it hit the strap, it puckered the sheet metal on me. That was the last incident with it, but I have to give a lot of credit to guys that do this all the time. I cant imagine putting something like an EKO into a basement....ugh.

Try to "slap" the crease out if its not deep. If you pound with a hammer & dolly incorrectly you will stretch the metal & it won't look too good, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.