Picking between Regency 2600 vs 3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DanGG

Jan 16, 2018
Maryland
Any advice picking between Regency 2600 vs 3100 (Cat/Non-Cat). Looking to heat 2800 sq ft house. Great room where wood stove will be installed in is 700 sq ft with ceilings from a low of 12 ft to 17ft high with a ceiling fan to circulate air. Open floor plan for great room, dining area and kitchen (Around 1500 sq ft). Not sure if I should be concerned about cat/non cat stoves and will both give enough heat to keep rooms in low 70's

Any advice picking between Regency 2600 vs 3100 (Cat/Non-Cat). Looking to heat 2800 sq ft house. Great room where wood stove will be installed in is 700 sq ft with ceilings from a low of 12 ft to 17ft high with a ceiling fan to circulate air. Open floor plan for great room, dining area and kitchen (Around 1500 sq ft). Not sure if I should be concerned about cat/non cat stoves and will both give enough heat to keep rooms in low 70's

In the Regency series, there is no F2600. The non-cat models are the F1100, F2400, S2400 and F3100. The cat models are the F3500 and F5100.

Ya got us on that one bud. Never heard of a 2600 model.

Thank you begreen. Great info. The dirty glass, is this something you get more with Cat type wood stove? Would the non cat 3100 also have this issue? I do have to improve my search skills. Before posting, I did search but found very little on the CI2600. The link you sent to the forum on the Regency® Pro-Series CI2600 Wood Insert was great. If anyone has a info on a link for the Regency® Classic™ I3100 Wood Insert, I would love to read what other owners think about this stove.

Yes, in general cat stoves will blacken the glass when run at low heat. It's the outcome of the firebox filling up with smoke before it is burned up by the catalytic combustor. Some stoves are better or worse than others with preventing this. It's much less of an issue if the stove is run at a higher temp during cold weather. The non-cat 3100 will not have this issue as long as the wood supply is fully seasoned and the insert is run properly. The trade off being shorter burn times during milder weather, especially if burning partial loads.

I purchased the F2400 in 2005. When deciding upon cat or non-cat, the salesman said there would be a draft control you would have to make sure to close up otherwise risk of warping something. I thought about loading up the stove and heading off to work...then I looked over at my wife...then I told the guy we better go with a non-cat. Is it over insulated? Yes. Do I get 8 hours burn time on a bed down? Absolutely. I go to be at night and in the morning plenty of hot coals to relight. I have to start a fire from a cold stove a few times a season. Otherwise I'm going 24/7 without relighting all season.

Did you ever get more information and choose one of these models? We are looking at the Regency I2600 and I3100 to heat a 2500sq foot 2 floor house with the fireplace at one end of the house. Not sure if we are better off with the catalytic or skipping the hassle and getting the I3100 that is not flush. Thanks!