Pic's added Installing Morso 2110 in front of fire place - distance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdesautelle

Sep 16, 2008
G'bury, CT
beats me
I am having a Morso 2110 delivered Saturday, and I have already stacked the 2 cords delivered a few weeks ago. My question is on how far into the fire place to put the stove. The fireplace opening is 41"w x 29"h, a 6” deep mantle is 50” off the floor. There is a black slate hearth (over concrete” that comes out 21” and is flush to wood flooring. Although an insert may look better, I was convinced I would get better heat from a freestanding stove. The house is a 1,000 sq foot ranch on main floor, open living/dining/kitchen and then short hallway with 3 bedrooms and bath. The fireplace is in the center of the house.

Is it okay to have the stove half in and half out, or should I have it mostly out in front of the fireplace? I realize the mantle will probably have to come off, and a temporary hearth pad in front of the stove to go down during the winter.

Karen
p.s. originally posted in Wood Shed in error, sorry for duplicate question.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 751
  • fireplacesize.jpg
    fireplacesize.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 592
What you're describing is what's referred to as a "Hearth Stove" installation, and they can be quite attractive and very functional. How far you push the stove into the existing fireplace is pretty much up to you, within certain constraints. Are you planning on a top-vent or rear-vent? (I'm assuming rear-vent). Did you order the short legs, or the standard height? Are you going to install a full chimney liner & a block-off plate? The stove is 20" deep...you didn't say how deep the fireplace is, but with a 21" hearth, and assuming a 16" required clearance in front of the stove, you'd need to install the stove 15" into the fireplace, so just 5" would be exposed outside the face of the masonry. If you extend the hearth, you can adjust that outward. If you put the stove in that far, you may even be able to top-vent it. Is there a blower kit available for this stove, and did you opt for that? A pic of the existing location would be a help. Welcome to the forum! Rick

kmdesautelle said:
Is it okay to have the stove half in and half out, or should I have it mostly out in front of the fireplace? I realize the mantle will probably have to come off, and a temporary hearth pad in front of the stove to go down during the winter.

Yes, it's fine to have it half-in the fireplace. The mantle might be able to be shielded as an alternative to removal. If you can post a picture, we can look for other issues.

Nice stove. I'll be helping install one in a few weeks.

The fireplace is 26" deep at it's deepest, each side angles. Here is a picture. The dealer is including a mantle shield for free but it is very big and ugly. I planned on a rear mount.

Looks like maybe the mantle shelf is 50" above the floor, but what's important is the clearance from the stove to the nearest combustible material, which would include the apron beneath the shelf, assuming it's wood. Rick

Nice setting for the stove. The kind of shield I am thinking of would attach to the underside of the mantle shelf and could be painted white. It would be the width of the stove and would be attached to the underside of the mantle with 1" spacers. It would need to be custom made, but I think this would be much more aesthetically pleasing.

I like the idea of painting the mantle shield, but I have only seen high heat stove paint in black. Does anyone know where I can get it in white?

All you need is heat resistant paint...doesn't have to have the word "stove" in the name. Both Rustoleum and Krylon have lines of paints of many colors for BBQ's & other applications. There are also heat resistant automotive paints available in about any color you can think of.

I'm still wondering whether or not I'm seeing in the picture what I think I'm seeing. If the entire white mantle assembly is combustible, including the vertical "apron" below the shelf, then attaching a heat shield up under the shelf doesn't seem to me to solve the problem. The heat shield would need to mount between the stove and the nearest combustible.

Rick

You could be right Rick, if the apron is projecting into the room a lower shield would be needed. If that's the case I'd just paint it or leave it black and remove it during the non-heating season if it bothered me. The mantle and surround are too nice to get rid of. It is just my opinion, but I think removing the glass doors will be a greater visual improvement, then the detraction of the mantle shield.
Karen, is this an interior or exterior chimney?

BeGreen said:
...The mantle and surround are too nice to get rid of. It is just my opinion, but I think removing the glass doors will be a greater visual improvement, then the detraction of the mantle shield...

Agreed. And I think a simple shield just above the stove, painted to match the stove might blend in pretty unobtrusively. Rick

It is a center chimney, the glass doors are gone, and to the left of the fireplace is the open hall way, the whole room is open with a kitchen and dining area opposite what you are looking at. I had a better picture of the fireplace, but it is too big to post and I don't know how to shrink it. I can email it to someone.

I am worried about the white trim around the bricks, it is rounded and raised about 2" so perhaps this is the combustible? If so, I am prepared to remove all the trim and mantle if the inspector requires it. Next year, maybe I can affford to take off the bead board above the fire place and see if there is nice exposed brick.

The 7110 was too small so I went with the 2110, even though I know the handle will drive me nuts! I appreciate all the help.

sent ya a PM, e-mail me the pic and I will size it for ya.

Attachments

• IMG00014.jpg
    IMG00014.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 594
Better pic. All the white-painted surround/mantle looks to me like wood = combustible. Lots of clearance decisions to make, including the hearth distance out from wherever the front of the stove ends up, but it's all do-able, one way or another. It'll look great there, and serve you well, I think, when it's all said & done. Rick

Hearth stove installations are nice...don't get all wrapped up in some kind of "buyer's remorse" here...this'll work. Rick

Take the spring off the handle, it won't drive you crazy. You can remove the handle when our really burning hot and leave it in over night and when your tending the fire. You'll really like this stove. Add a clean out tee if you are rear mounting the stove pipe.

Enjoy,

Grott

I got over the buyers remorse (almost exchanged it for a Jotul F3 in ivory for the shorter legs) and it was installed yesterday. What's a clean out tee? It is rear mounted and there is a t from the back of the stove into another straight up piece, with a piece below the t from the stove, so this may be what you are referring to.
I was able to get the spring off the handle, which I refer to as an allen wrench tool, I leave it off and only use it to open the doors. Does any one know what the rectangulur cast iron piece (about 5" long and 1 1/2 " wide) with a small pick on one end and the MORSO logo branded on it is for?
Karen

Karen,

Sorry I didn't see your post until today. The rectangle cast piece is a "handle" for pulling out the ash pan. I just use welders gloves to pull the pan out when it's hot. The T at the rear of the stove is the "cleanout" I was referring to. It will help when you sweet the chimney.

So do you have pictures yet? Are you keeping warm?

Garett

How did it turn out? Pics!!
I assume you had to get short legs? Where did you put the mantel shield? I have a similar setup but my clearances were too tough to figure out for a freestanding stove so I went with an insert that sticks out a lot, though it isn't nearly as nice a look. The guy on this thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/47453/ had a very similar looking setup to yours and did a really nice install on a Jotul Castine that made me very envious!

Edited to add: wowsa, that's a pretty old thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.