Pilot spitting, logs won't stay running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wilsoncm1

Nov 5, 2018
Western NC
Howdy gang

Our little LP gas fireplace is giving me some problems. It ran great last year. This year it just won't stay running.

When lighting the pilot, I push the knob to start the gas and then the push the 'grill' igniter. A blue flame starts, but it's 'fuzzy' and sputtery (sorry for the technical language...) When in this state, the pilot won't stay lit.

Most of the time it'll smooth out and quiet down, that's when it'll stay lit on it's own. The fireplace will operate normally for some time after that. But, later I'll look at it and the pilot is out and I'll start over.

What could be the problem? It wasn't an expensive unit, but was hoping that it would last longer than a year or so.

Thanks for the help!

The pilot burner is dirty and needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

Usually not too tough a job. You need to take out the screws that hold the pilot burner in place, gently bend the pilot tubing so you can pull the pilot burner out from the fireplace.

Then loosen the brass fitting at the bottom of the pilot burner that holds the pilot tubing in the pilot burner. When the brass fitting comes loose on the pilot tubing you can pull the pilot tubing out of the pilot burner and usually empty the pilot orifice into you hand.

Clean that with some compressed air, canned air or just blow sharply into the bottom of the pilot orifice to get it clean ----you may want to inspect it with a magnifying glass to be sure its clean. Reassemble and you should be back in business.

Reactions: wilsoncm1