Pilot won’t light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nofireshere

Dec 3, 2023
USA
I have a white mountain hearth LPG system that stopped working while running one evening. The flames gradually died making us think we had run out of gas. Since then I’ve ensured our tank still has plenty of gas and I’ve replaced the attached pilot/thermocouple/thermopile assembly.

Now when I press the pilot knob in and I can smell gas flowing but still can’t get it to light. I’ve tried holding it in for 3 minutes or so each time with no luck. I’m looking at replacing the valve next but would appreciate any input before I drop money on that.

Edit to add: I’ve tried both the built in igniter and a lighter but it still won’t light the pilot

IMG_1488.jpeg

If there is gas pushing the flame it should ignite. The only reason it can’t ignite is if there is more air than gas.