Pilot won't light ... too much pressure? LP gas log set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

djbartu

Nov 7, 2017
PA
When I try to light the pilot in my LP gas log set, it seems as if there is so much pressure the pilot won't stay lit (also sounds a bit like a blowtorch). If I close the gas inlet valve approx 90%, I can get it to stay on as a small blue flame.

Here's some background ... log set was installed last winter and seemed to work fine off of a used 20lb grill tank. This year I purchased a new 30lb tank and just had it filled. Nothing else is different.

Log set was purchased many years ago (although I just got around to installing it last year). Emberglow Sure Heat CLVT24LP.

Regulator at tank is a Char-Broil 5958727 with an outlet pressure of 11" W.C.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Not sure if it's a vented logset or not, but if it isn't there is a small hole on the back of the pilot tube.
It's maybe 1/16 to 3/32" in diameter. This is the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS).
If it gets plugged with lint or dust or animal dander, it will not allow the pilot to light.
Take a can of compressed air & try blowing it towards that ODS. Clearing it out might
get you up & running.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Bravo DAKSY! You were correct.
I stuck a small flat screwdriver in the slot of the pilot tube with the pilot gas flowing and heard a different pitch to the sound. Wiggled it around a bit, hit the igniter and flame! I can't quite figure out how that sensor works, but all is back to normal.
Thanks!

Reactions: DAKSY
I think I figured it all out. Today when trying to find a replacement pilot assembly, I saw a picture on the link from that guy from AandBsales.com that said that they had lots of old Martin parts, and there was the clip thingy that I found under my gas logs. It went over where I thought the ODS was. Finally put it back on where it seemed to go, gave everything a once over with a soft wire brush (from my golf days), and it lit right up, and burns nicely again.

Update: the pilot is not lighting again ... as in my original post in this thread. It worked the one time a while ago, then I tried to light the pilot this past weekend and it is just as it was before.

So this time I disassembled the entire pilot assembly and inspected it. Everything was very clean but I still went over it again. I reinstalled it and still no better. As long as I hold a lighter to attempt to ignite it, it blows a lot but will not light.

Any ideas?