Pilot won't stay lit on Monessen vent free fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

alan1955

Nov 28, 2017
Ohio
I have a 15 year old vent free Monessen DFX32NV that has worked flawlessly all these years but now I can't get the pilot to stay lit. It will ignite with the push button, but even after a minute of holding in the pilot switch it pops back out and pilot dies.

I found someone else on the forum that had a similar problem and I did some testing based on that info. First off I want to make sure I understand the terminology. There are 2 wires coming from the large black rod on the igniter assy, which I believe is the ODS. When I measure across them, with a pilot flame, I get over 300mv. There is also a brown wire coming from a post that sticks up into the pilot flame and it goes to a fitting on the rear of the valve assy. If I measure between this and TH 3 on the terminal block I get about 130mv.

I am somewhat confused about what each sensor does. I think the voltage from the brown lead keeps the gas valve open, as long as there is a pilot flame, and the ODS somehow detects a lack of sufficient oxygen and closes the valve. Based on the other post I believe I am getting correct voltages to the valve, but it's just not opening to allow the burner to come on. This leads me to believe the valve assy is probably defective, but I really don't want to invest over $200 if it is not. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Look closely at the pilot nozzle. There is a small (1/16 - 3/32" Diameter) hole on it. Generally, it is on the back side.
That is your ODS. Make sure dust, pet dander or hair have not blocked the opening. Use a can of compressed air to clear it.

Look closely at the pilot nozzle. There is a small (1/16 - 3/32" Diameter) hole on it. Generally, it is on the back side.
That is your ODS. Make sure dust, pet dander or hair have not blocked the opening. Use a can of compressed air to clear it.

I found what appears to be just an indentation, not a hole, on the back side of the gas nozzle. If I take a straight pin and try to poke through it, I just seem to hit metal, not debris. I can't imagine something that hard could be packed in there such that I couldn't run a pin through it.

I am almost at the point where I might just have the dealer I bought it from come out. They charge $99 for a cleaning, and if that doesn't fix it, it's $60 plus parts. Hate to spend that much if it's something simple but may have to bite the bullet.