Pine Barren II Stove (Piney II)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ritab

Dec 19, 2023
NJ
Hi,

We just moved and have a Pine Barren II stove. Our first attempt at using it was a disaster. Anyone have a manual/direction or guidance to using it? I know that the guy who owned the store in Chatsworth NJ has passed, Lee.

Thank you kindly!

Rita

It's an uncertified coal stove. There are several postings on the stove in this forum. Use the search for Pine Barren.

Can you post a picture of the stove setup and of the chimney (flue) system too?

It's an uncertified coal stove. There are several postings on the stove in this forum. Use the search for Pine Barren.

Can you post a picture of the stove setup and of the chimney (flue) system too?

Here is the setup. We have a new liner in the chimney.
IMG_6859.jpegIMG_6860.jpegIMG_6861.jpegIMG_6862.jpeg

The stovepipe is incorrect. Galvinized pipe can not be used. It must be black stovepipe. Secondly, it looks like the upper parts are installed backwards. The crimped end always points down to the stove.

What fuel are you trying to burn, coal or wood? What was the disaster that happened?

This was the setup they had when we got the house. I had a chimney company come and reline the chimney, replaced fire bricks and the section where pipe goes into brick.

We were trying to burn wood. Got the fire started successfully. Closed the door. We started seeing some smoke at the door above glass but fire was going up. A couple of hours later, smoke alarm went off. Embers were left. Black smoke filled the entire room and smoke was not going up the pipe. My room still smells of smoke.