Pine Barren Stove HHPB-II info needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LisaD

Hi, first post but I’ve been lurking for a while. I live in Upper Michigan on Lake Michigan. It’s gets wicked cold and the winds blowing off the lake can be brutal.
I am looking for a stove to put in the garage/workshop area. I want something solid, that isn’t going to burn through in a few years. I don’t want a complete smoke belching firewood eater, but because of money constraints, i’m Looking at used ones and would prefer something that isn’t overly complicated. They are selling pretty fast up here right now. Everytime I see a promising one, it’s already sold.
I am currently at my mother in law’s house who is 84 and also have my own mother here who is almost 92. I am taking care of both of them full time. My mother happened to get to the point of needing full time help pretty much the same time Covid hit. My brother and i new she would need full time care by springtime anyhow. I was a home care aide, but quit to take care of the two of them full time in April. I could not risk bringing home something to my mother. I was already running to her apartment three times a day to take care of her. So, it can get tough mentally and i spend a lot of time in the attached garage putzing around and keeping a wood fire going in an ancient coal cook stove that installed. It’s my “man cave” lol.
So, i am liking a Pine Barren wood stove. I believe it’s a HHPB II model, based on the flyer posted here at Hearth. It looks just like the picture, but has window in the door.
I used the forum search function and google, but can’t find much info on the II model that takes 19” logs. Can anyone help me with the square footage I can expect to heat with that unit? I have four face cords (cord and a third i guess?) of two year old ash wood, mostly split and some small logs, roughly 16 inches long so it should fit. The seller didn’t use it, it was in the house and they have no use for it and know nothing about it.
Money is tight and I don’t want a sheet metal junky thing that will fall apart or will require special parts. I almost bought a Harman tl300. I was in love with the glass door as i love to watch the fire burn and the top loading feature. It seems soooo perfect. THANK GOD for this forum! I found out they have a very expensive piece called a “firedome” inside that is around 500 bucks to replace if it breaks or wears out!
Any comments on the HHPB-11 pine barren wood stove would be greatly appreciated. I’m looking for a solid performer that will throw out lots of heat. The garage floor is cracked and the door doesn’t seal down very good.
This is the brochure of the stove I’m talking about. The seller said it takes around 18” wood, so I’m pretty sure it’s the II model.
https://hearth.com/images/uploads/piney.pdf

Thanks for any help, Lisa