Ping Warren---question on Os1800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KateC

Oct 7, 2006
Arizona
www.flickr.com
Not excluding anyone else from chiming in of course. Got the insert installed about 6 weeks ago----haven't burned a whole lot yet but it's certainly getting a good breaking-in. Anyway, cleaning the glass this morning I noticed the thin strips of cloth between the glass fraying a bit and even pulling up in a couple of spots. Before I call the dealer and pitch a fit----is this normal or a Big Deal-and-don't-light-the-stove thing?
Kate

bugette said:
Not excluding anyone else from chiming in of course. Got the insert installed about 6 weeks ago----haven't burned a whole lot yet but it's certainly getting a good breaking-in. Anyway, cleaning the glass this morning I noticed the thin strips of cloth between the glass fraying a bit and even pulling up in a couple of spots. Before I call the dealer and pitch a fit----is this normal or a Big Deal-and-don't-light-the-stove thing?
Kate

Hi Kate,

I had a little of the same and I just snipped them with a sizzor. I wouldn't Pull on them, that's the Gasket material for the door and glass. I have a little near the bottom of my glass in the center that frayed a bit, but it stopped.

As long as the door is sealing your just fine. I'd say Keep burning!

Thanks for the quick reply Warren. I won't worry about the fraying then, but like I said, a couple of spots have already pulled out ( and no, I didn't pull or pick at it) and I can even feel the edges of the glass ----I smushed it back in and wonder what might have caused it----if just wiping the glass with a damp paper towel could have loosened it, not enough glue, and should I bug the dealer anyway since it's under warranty?

I'd take a picture and ask the dealer. Post it here too.

No digital yet, and my printer is temporarily offline so no pics. When I showed bf the gaskets he thought it's okay and we should just keep burning until it gets bad enough to make 'em give us a new door. Can't say I agree, but he's had a bad week with stuff getting stolen so I'll let it drop for now and just keep an eye on it. Dollar test was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.