Pipe discoloration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
Is this discoloration anything to be concerned about? I've seen pictures of them discolored before but never any this black.

IMG_20141205_110255.jpg

I have the same thing going on, approximately the same distance down from the cap. Comes right off with mothers mag and aluminum polish.

It'll wash off over the summer.

Is that connected to the furnace?

Dirty burning? How long since the last reload when that picture was taken?

That's why I was thinking it is the furnace chimney.

Yes, looks like this could be from a smoldering fire.

Dirty burning? How long since the last reload when that picture was taken?

It's the stove chimney. I had just reloaded it and went outside to see how much smoke it was kicking out, that's when i noticed how discolored the pipe was.

Cold exterior of insulated pipe. Some smoke on reloads and light wind. Worry about the inside of the pipe, not the outside.

Mine is like that further down then that. I assumed it's because it's 7' above the roof there and we routinely experience very high winds.

Ian

I wonder if a less restrictive cap would reduce the accumulation. I get a lighter grey accumulation like that in the same place. I just clean it off with Windex during my annual sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.