Pipe through metal ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FXMike

Oct 17, 2013
Pittsburg, ks
I'm installing stove pipe through my ceiling. Our home has a metal ceiling and metal roof with steel struts and fiberglass insulation between the two sheets of metal. I'm using a silicon boot on the roof to support the pipe penetration. My question is to the proper install in the ceiling below. Is a ceiling support box necessary, or can I simply have the stove pipe penetrate both sheets of metal to the roof and be secured by the boot only? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome. The boot does not support the pipe. You need either a ceiling support or a roof support, though I don't think the latter would be advisable because there may not be enough meat for a good anchorage. Chimney pipe is heavy and has a lot of leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.