Piping A Wood Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kingkong0192

Nov 16, 2017
New Milford, CT
Ok, first time poster. I know a bunch about plumbing, but not about heating. My friend wants me to plumb in a wood boiler in his house so he bought a wood boiler from a guy on craigslist. I've talked to the guy on the phone that he bought it from and his knowledge is way beyond what i understand so his help just confuses me more.

My friend has a one zone system run off of an oil boiler. One circulator, one loop. Heats his main floor, and his upstairs. One thermostat. Baseboard heating with one radiator in the bathroom.

Underneath the kitchen and living room someone put in radiant heat.

I remember from way back in school that radiant is normally run at around 120-130 degrees not the 180 degrees that normal baseboard runs at. The guy i talked to on craigslist mentioned a mixing valve to control the temperature of water in the radiant. How would i go about doing that?

My next question is for the wood boiler. He bought a wood boiler he wants to tie into the heating loop to use wood to heat his house. I have literally no idea how to go about tying this thing in.

The guy from craigslist mentioned using a modine heater in the garage (where the wood boiler is) as a means to heat the garage and blow off heat from the boiler if it gets too hot.

I'm trying to figure out what is involved in tying this wood boiler into the oil burner loop? Do i put a circulator on the wood boiler and then set it up for two zones - one being for the modine, and one being for the house? Do i need another circulator on the oil burner? Craigslist guy says to tie the supply of the wood boiler to the return of the oil boiler. If that's true then where do i feed the return of the wood boiler from?

I'm going to read forums and what not to try to figure some of this out.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Hudson.

If that wood boiler is going in the garage his insurance company will deny home coverage in the event of a fire.
the National Fire Code does not permit have a fuel burning appliance in a garage that is used for an automobile or for storing gasoline.

Please order 2 books Pumping Away and Classic Hydronics from Amazon or wwwdansbooks.com they will help you with your plumbing issues.

In the Sticky section above there is lots of reading in the Bio Mass Hydronics Training PDF