Piping differences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pert86

May 22, 2020
Sierra Nevada CA
Hi! We have a drolet escape 1800 stove, new. And are looking at our options for installing. We have a local stove company quoting Amerivent double wall pipe at $1380 plus $650 install. And a local guy quoting $2000 for excell piping and $700 for install. The local guy is insisting that the amerivent pipe is not the way to go and only the excell will do. I want to buy pipe from Lowe’s but can’t find anyone to do the install!!!! Thoughts on pipe brands?

sounds about right - they can't make any money on the materials and do not like that.

It isn't nessecarily about making money on the pipe. It is about installing a product you know and trust. If a customer has a problem a few years down.the road because they chose a lesser quality pipe it is either the installers problem to fix it. Or they get a rep for not standing behind their work.

Also if there is a problem with the pipe if it is a company they work with all the time the warranty process will be much easier with a much better chance of a good outcome.

And yes they will make some money on the pipe. But they need to make a living pay insurance etc.

Sooooo are you guys saying go with the excel pipe? They’re both reputable installers. I’m just trying to figure out if we actually need the more expensive brand.

Excel is good quality. Can you tell us more about the install? Is this for freestanding or an insert? Is there an existing chimney?

No, it’s a free standing stove and will go up through the first story pre existing hole (previously had gas stove and piping). But it has to go quite high past the second story roof line. I’m quite happy with the labor quotes. I’m just trying to figure out if the upgraded piping is realistically worth the cost.

I have never even seen amerivent pipe in person. But what I see online it looks pretty low end.

Reactions: Pert86
Fwiw my chimney pro is most comfortable with ICC excell pipe. He offered to install other brands, but doesnt like how some of them use locking bands to hold sections together. ICC Excell uses good ol' fashioned screws to hold sections together. Also, I believe the Excell products are tested to withstand longer chimney fires than most others, but don't quote me on that. Best of luck to you

Reactions: Pert86
We work primarily through DuraVent and Amerivent and we rarely ever have problems. The locking system is true to Amerivent, but installation is easy and helps us and customers keep costs down. in terms of quality I haven't come across any problems with piping specific to Amerivent. I'd look more into the installer themselves