Piping wood stove up through A-frame great room. Center or off to the side? Pros and cons?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kingbuzzie

Jan 22, 2018
Austin, TX
We have are a-frame house framed up. We had originally planned to have to patio doors on the front spaced about 3 feet apart with a wood stove in the middle. The stovepipe would run up the front gable wall of the a-frame and out just to the side of the peak. That is option 1. The other option is to put a large 3 panel patio door in the center and have the wood stove off to the side. This means running the chimney outside. I have read the interior stovepipe is more efficient. Which setup is cheaper. Also it is a 60 degree triangle, I'm not sure how high I would have to run it up outside for code. I personally thought the look of the stovepipe running up the wall of the great room would look nice. Also, if building a storm proof structure, is having a high external chimney going to make it more prone to wind damage?

I must add we live in north Georgia, so the wood stove is more for fun and backup than primary heating. Thanks for any input!

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 9.00.58 AM.png

I have see it both ways. There are a lot of A-frames near me, the out the roof with proper bracing seems to work just fine. You just have to clean the chimney from the inside, at first they look a little goofy, but it is what it is. If we could get roof color matched pipe, life would be sweet

I have see it both ways. There are a lot of A-frames near me, the out the roof with proper bracing seems to work just fine. You just have to clean the chimney from the inside, at first they look a little goofy, but it is what it is. If we could get roof color matched pipe, life would be sweet

I'm getting a bare galvalume roof, so it would actually match! Do you think there is a significant cost difference?

Go to Selkirk website, they have great installation guides with part #'s, then find a retailer and price check. Here, my local hardware store beats any price online, so do some shopping

Center the stove and have 45 degree elbows near the ceiling to offset off of centerline of roof. I’d choose the side that is least visible. From the outside driving up. If it’s at the top I doubt prevailing wind direction would make much difference. But that might be question for an expert.

The roof pitch will mean a fairly tall exterior stack if it exits low. Interior stove pipe is less expensive so it will be less expensive to do as EbS-P suggests, and the flue should work better. Given the tall stovepipe inside, it should be double-walled (DuraVent DVL, Selkirk DSP, etc)

This is the 10-3-2 rule that governs chimney height in relation to the roof.
10-3-2 rule.JPG

The expert is the website I mentioned, or is there a better one?
DuraVent also has very good installation instructions on their website.