Planning on making my old fireplace work again. Insert? Firebox? Rebuild?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gg1

Apr 6, 2024
Ohiopyle, PA
I have a pretty large fireplace that is a little odd in some ways. Has a metal floor that dumps ash to the basement clean out. A big metal plate in the back. I was told the brick isn't "firebrick". The opening in front is 48" wide by 36" high. It is 28" deep at the bottom, but 19 1/2" at the top. Here are some pictures to help. I don't like when there is some surround that covers the stone, so I like a flush look, or just go with an open fireplace, but they are wildly inefficient. Ahren-Fire was proposed by two companies if I want an open fireplace. Approx $9k US. I certainly feel I could line this myself and get a mason to fix issues, but no firebrick? Any ideas? I like clean and more modern, but the fireplace itself isn't "modern" looking.

IMG_5917.jpeg IMG_5918.jpeg

An insert doesn't need to have the factory surround installed. Some can be installed with a custom surround that fits just inside of the fireplace opening. Or some just leave the surround off completely. The fireplace is tall enough that a freestanding stove could go in.

Are there side vents on the fireplace?

An insert doesn't need to have the factory surround installed. Some can be installed with a custom surround that fits just inside of the fireplace opening. Or some just leave the surround off completely. The fireplace is tall enough that a freestanding stove could go in.

Are there side vents on the fireplace?
No vents on the fireplace. Here is a picture of the chimney if that helps. Thanks for the reply.

IMG_5875.jpeg