Plastic Filler in Pellets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

camdids

Friend gave me a few bags of Easy Heat Pellets to try. Hadn't heard of them so why not. Threw a bag in and seemed ok. Bit dusty but burned well. Second bag I noticed some Blue bits in the pellets. On closer inspection the pellets are full of what I can only describe as Plastic.
Not sure I want melted Plastic in my stove.
pelletbits.JPG
pelletbag.JPG

Yep looks like a piece of a tarp. Added to the list of many things found in pellets and pellet bags lol

Reactions: kappel15
I've had similar stuff in pellets over the years, but usually red and rubbery feeling.

Reactions: kappel15
I am burning Easy Heat, Somerset, Superior, and Indeck. All but the Indeck are pretty dirty. Lots of fines. Haven't seen any plastic yet. kap

I thought I heard that the Easy Heats were made from recycled/ground up pallets, If so I'm sure all kinds of extras get mixed into the materials.

Poor excuse for a pellet. Tried them the first year I had my stove. Thought there was something wrong with my stove. Very poor heat output! Make good ash though. Best use is oil spill cleanup or driveway traction. Imo.

Reactions: Harmanizer
I thought I heard that the Easy Heats were made from recycled/ground up pallets, If so I'm sure all kinds of extras get mixed into the materials.

Supposedly Pro Pellets are also ground up pallets. Thankfully I've not noticed any junk in mine, and they burn nice and hot. We have been having our long stream of subzero nights lately. I have noticed the ones from this season seem to be more the same color tan and not as much dark brown bits in them.

Maybe send an email and photo to the company, or perhaps a sample in an envelope. Who knows, they might send you coupons for a free bag or more. And if not, nothing lost.

Ground up pallets? I wonder how they would deal with all the nails?

Magnet. Though I would much rather have nail in my pellets than plastic. Nails would likely destroy the pellet machine dies, so even those that might not use pallets, still have a heavy magnet at least once along the way.

Reactions: tlc1976
Give the guys at Easyheat a call. I had some issues a while back. They took good care of me. Worth a shot!