Plasticy waxey smell from new gas fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sj1818

Oct 8, 2017
Denver
I had a new gas fireplace installed and it smells like a waxey plasticy smell. After it is on for a while it is so bad my son and wife got headaches and felt sick.

It was installed as a flush mount so you just see the glass. See pic. I am thinking the smell could be coming from the hardibacker that was installed on and around the front of the fireplace. Has anyone run into this and is it ok to use hardibacker on the face if the fireplace?

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• 20171008_172957.jpg
    20171008_172957.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 355
In case your salesperson & the installers didn't tell you - your new fireplace has a break-in period.
This can take 4 - 8 HOURS with the burner on HIGH & the blower (if there is one) OFF.
This allows the oils, adhesives & paints used in the manufacture of the unit to cure.
If the smell persists, the installers may have missed something, like tape or other packing material.
I would open a window in that room & close the doors to the rest of the house& let er rip...

Reactions: Tech Guru
Thanks for the reply daksy. The fireplace was run all night and the smell still persisted. I took the outside venting apart and discovered the smell was coming from the high temp sealant that was used on the vent. So I removed the sealant that was used from the inside of the house and outside of the vent. But before I put back together does anyone have a recommendation of high temp sealant that wont smell?