Playstation 1 on Newer TV (HDMI hookup)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

miteclipse

Burning Hunk
Mar 8, 2013
Hughesville, MD
Hello,

I've located an Playstation 1 that I'd like to hookup to a Samsung 42/45 smart tv. I bought a RCA to HDMI converter (720p to 1080p switch). When playing a game, the image is a little blurry, although still playable. Is there anything else I can do to get a better picture? I switch the tv resolution to 4:3, which helped some. Only other option I can think of is to purchase another tv that has the RCA components include for plug n play. It's my understanding that the playstation outputs to 480p? I've seem other youtube videos where people have done this with great play image quality.

Thanks
Brian

Well the RCA is an analog video signal so any converter you get is going to do some kind of ADC. I suspect the quality and speed of the converter matters a lot and a cheap converter may give you weird image artifacts.

Based on the below reddit discussion, the retrotink 2x-mini seems to provide good quality, although I personally do not have experience with that device.

Could the fuzziness be from the PlayStation resolution not being up to the TVs standards?

Reactions: EbS-P
Perhaps this would be another helpful resource

why not just hook it up with the RCA direct to TV, thats how i do it and the picture quality is acceptable for the connection.

why not just hook it up with the RCA direct to TV, thats how i do it and the picture quality is acceptable for the connection.
For some reason, this particular Samsung Smart TV, probably 5-6 years old, does not have the rca connection. All it has is a blue/yellow input, which the rca doesn't even fit.

I ended up purchasing a LevelLink PS2/PS1 and a Pound PS2/PS1 converter, see if it makes a difference. It may help some. My only other option would be to purhcase a 19inch Insignia tv at sale on Best Buy, but that in my office and hook that way (for periodic use).

Side note, I purhcased a Resident Evil Directors Cut game to play at a local farmers market store trade store, it gets stuck at the playstation logo. Tried cleaning, no avail. Any other recommendations or is this just a dud. Other ps1 games work with no issue.