Pleasant Hearth 1800 baffle issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BroRalph

Feb 9, 2023
Texas
Hello everyone. I hope all is well with you.
Our Pleasant Hearth PH1800WS baffle handle/assembly is acting oddly.

In the pic you can see that the rod is out a tad and the peg (?) is not in the slot. The baffle inside on the top is closed. When I push the rod inward so the peg is in the slot (as it should be) the baffle opens a little bit...but it shouldn't.
To rotate the handle/rod to the left to fully open the baffle it is very hard to turn...I can do it with a wrench.
Any ideas as to what is wrong?
Thank you.

IMG_20230209_194705164.jpg

Pushing it in locks the handle. Don't try to turn it in the locked position. The rod is pulled out to rotate it between open and closed, then pushed back in to lock it in position

It sounds like it may be binding. Have you called Pleasant Hearth support about this? It sounds like a defect that should be covered under the warranty.

Not yet. It didn't used to do it. It just started doing it. I was wondering what could be causing the binding. Maybe soot or creosote?