Pleasant Hearth 1800 Clearances & Heat Shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hennjj

Dec 28, 2022
Ohio
I recently purchased a Pleasant Hearth PH1800WS. I am trying to get closer to my drywall wall with the stove. I can not find any type of clearances when used with a heat shield. I have tried to call Pleasant Hearth and am on hold forever. If I can't find closer clearances using a heat shield does this mean that I can't get closer using a heat? Along with that what size heat shield is required? I have read 8" wider on the sides and 20" taller than the height of the stove, while other sources state that you have to measure 36" from the top and sides going out at an angle. Which one is correct? Seems if I use the latter suggestion I am covering 3/4 of my wall height up, for a 8' tall wall.

I recently purchased a Pleasant Hearth PH1800WS. I am trying to get closer to my drywall wall with the stove. I can not find any type of clearances when used with a heat shield. I have tried to call Pleasant Hearth and am on hold forever. If I can't find closer clearances using a heat shield does this mean that I can't get closer using a heat? Along with that what size heat shield is required? I have read 8" wider on the sides and 20" taller than the height of the stove, while other sources state that you have to measure 36" from the top and sides going out at an angle. Which one is correct? Seems if I use the latter suggestion I am covering 3/4 of my wall height up, for a 8' tall wall.
If the manufacturer doesn't allow for further reduced clearances you can't do it.

If the manufacturer doesn't allow for further reduced clearances you can't do it.
Hypothetical question: If the stove's UL label was missing, then it would be considered unlisted, right? In that circumstance, the clearance could be reduced to 12" with a proper NFPA 211 wall shield, correct? If so, why can't the stove's large clearance requirements be dropped down to the same 12" using the same wall shielding? That is the way I would put the question to the local inspecting authority.

Reactions: kcmclellan
bholler thanks for the response I was afraid of that.

begreen thanks for your hypothetical response. However I would love to do but I deal with inspectors on a regular basis and you can't talk logic to them, plus my luck I would burn my house down and the insurance wouldn't pay for us to rebuild.

Yes, I have had several dialogs with inspectors for various projects. Fortunately, most of them I have dealt with have been reasonable when provided with good documentation.

There are value-priced stoves that have better rear shielding for closer clearances, if that would be another option. The True North TN20 for example drops down to 5" rear clearance with double-wall stovepipe. The Century FW2800 is 7.5" with double-wall stovepipe.

Hypothetical question: If the stove's UL label was missing, then it would be considered unlisted, right? In that circumstance, the clearance could be reduced to 12" with a proper NFPA 211 wall shield, correct? If so, why can't the stove's large clearance requirements be dropped down to the same 12" using the same wall shielding? That is the way I would put the question to the local inspecting authority.
That is a very good question and personally I would be comfortable with the safety of it. But that doesn't mean it meets requirements

And yet it would, as an unlisted stove. Whoever is setting the requirements needs to update them.

Reactions: bholler