Pleasant Hearth draft defect?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's unusual, but possible depending on chimney location or local terrain. Is the flue system straight up or does it head out the wall and then up?

Straight through the roof. Terrain here is basically flat and desert-like. The chimney extends above the almost-flat roof line by 4+ feet now, and has a directional cap.

Could be the design of the secondary passages is restrictive on that stove. We just had a review of it's big brother and that one is working great. Anywho, sounds like you got a good deal on a good looking replacement. Just in time, winter is starting to knock on our doors.

Update: after sitting in front of this POS, poorly-made junk [Lowe's] stove for hours messing around with the door, draft that really doesn't make any difference in/out, trying to get it to burn well-seasoned wood, and cursing --- I yanked it out and replaced it with a 6-year-old used Hearthstone EPA stove! What a gigantic difference! It burns all of the wood, all the time, the draft works, the output is bloody amazing, and my house is absolutely toasty again. So there ya have it, non-believers. Lesson learned, buy quality, not cheap junk!

You do realize you are comparing a stove that you paid $500 for new to a stove that cost $2500 or so new. You bought a bottom of the line stove to start ys top of the line stoves are better. Did you ever contact the stove manufacturer? What did they have to say? But like bg said glad to hear you found a good stove that works for you.

Could be the design of the secondary passages is restrictive on that stove. We just had a review of it's big brother and that one is working great. Anywho, sounds like you got a good deal on a good looking replacement. Just in time, winter is starting to knock on our doors.

Yes, an amazing deal - $550! Luckily I was watching Craigslist every day, and turns out the seller was a friend.

I'm still sticking with the evidence that something got welded together wrong or never cut properly in the cheapo stove.

I'm still sticking with the evidence that something got welded together wrong or never cut properly in the cheapo stove.
Did you talk to the manufacturer? Did you have anyone look at it? Like I said it is possible but I have yet to see that problem even from the entry level stoves. And I see lots of stoves and hear your complaints many times. I am glad you got a stove that works for you but I hate to see a stove getting bashed without someone doing their due diligence to fix the problem. but you may have which is why I ask.

Did you talk to the manufacturer? Did you have anyone look at it? Like I said it is possible but I have yet to see that problem even from the entry level stoves. And I see lots of stoves and hear your complaints many times.

I will as soon as I get caught up with more important things here. My business is booming and taking all my time right now - unique propane furnaces for small RVs, teardrops, etc. Put it this way: if I can't force air in under pressure, then something is definitely not right. The air tubes at the top are on a separate plenum, they flow - the main draft - nothing at all. After I clean it out I'll flip it upside down and poke my borescope in the air inlet to see what's wrong.

The air tubes at the top are on a separate plenum, they flow - the main draft - nothing at all.
There is a first for anything. Have you called the manufacturer yet? Or complained to lowes? What was their responses? I would if I was you to make sure you can get your money back if there really is a problem.

There is a first for anything. Have you called the manufacturer yet? Or complained to lowes? What was their responses? I would if I was you to make sure you can get your money back if there really is a problem.

I haven't, due to 'not enough hours in the day'. There are multiple such things on my call list and I unfortunately only am able to do so much. I'm working 12-hour days trying to keep up. I'll update here when I have more to share on the matter.

What propane furnace?

What propane furnace?

propexusa.com

I'm the US distributor, warranty center, etc. Sales continue to grow by leaps and bounds every winter it seems. Good for the bank account, bad for 'having a life'. :(

I haven't, due to 'not enough hours in the day'. There are multiple such things on my call list and I unfortunately only am able to do so much. I'm working 12-hour days trying to keep up. I'll update here when I have more to share on the matter.
Yes I know how it is to be way to busy this time of year. But if I had spent $500 on something I was sure was faulty I would be on that right away. It doesn't take much time to make a couple calls. Much less time than finding a stove on cl picking it up and installing it.

Update: after sitting in front of this POS, poorly-made junk [Lowe's] stove for hours messing around with the door, draft that really doesn't make any difference in/out, trying to get it to burn well-seasoned wood, and cursing --- I yanked it out and replaced it with a 6-year-old used Hearthstone EPA stove!

This was the time that would have been better spent making some phone calls.

propexusa.com

I'm the US distributor, warranty center, etc. Sales continue to grow by leaps and bounds every winter it seems. Good for the bank account, bad for 'having a life'. :(

Very cool little heater. Glad its doing well. Love those Vanagon Campers!!

propexusa.com

Yes, they are popular in the RV world. Good to hear your business is doing well.

Please refrain from telling me how to dedicate my time. You don't live my life, work my job, so whatever you might choose to do to waste your time is not the same I might choose. Please enlighten me as to how sitting on the phone yammering to someone who doesn't HAVE this stove in front of them to examine is going to help ME? FYI, 'finding, picking up, and installing' the Hearthstone stove was less than 2 hours on a weekend - hours that the crap manufacturer is not open, BTW. This is already less time than I dedicated to babying the POS stove and trying to get it to actually function. I guess I wasted my time last weekend.... :rolleyes:

Please refrain from telling me how to dedicate my time. You don't live my life, work my job, so whatever you might choose to do to waste your time is not the same I might choose. Please enlighten me as to how sitting on the phone yammering to someone who doesn't HAVE this stove in front of them to examine is going to help ME? FYI, 'finding, picking up, and installing' the Hearthstone stove was less than 2 hours on a weekend - hours that the crap manufacturer is not open, BTW. This is already less time than I dedicated to babying the POS stove and trying to get it to actually function. I guess I wasted my time last weekend.... :rolleyes:

No one is telling you how to deticate your time. Spending some time reaching out for help from Lowes or the stove mfg. may not have helped you at all, guess we'll never know. I still think it would have been better to have tried than to have spent hours in front of the stove doing the same thing over and over then declaring the stove "junk".

Your over the warranty center for Propex? I would hope you don't share this same attitude about customer service when your on the other end of the deal.

Please refrain from telling me how to dedicate my time. You don't live my life, work my job, so whatever you might choose to do to waste your time is not the same I might choose. Please enlighten me as to how sitting on the phone yammering to someone who doesn't HAVE this stove in front of them to examine is going to help ME?
I am not telling you how to waste your time at all. I am saying that their customer service could possibly tell you how many and where the primary air inlet holes are supposed to be so you could check if they are there. If they are not then obviously you are right it is defective and you could get your money back. I don't know their refund or warantee policies but the longer you go without reporting the problem the harder it will be to get your money back. That is all I am saying In the long run you have a much better stove now so it worked out well. But If it was me I would have been trying to get my money back on what you see as a defective product a long time ago.

ok I just checked and they have a 5 year warantee on the stove so you are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.