Pleasant Hearth HWS-2200 vs Drolet ESCAPE 2100 vs other models

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nicholl

Dec 7, 2022
PA
I was initially more interested in the Drolet models, as I think they look nicer, but the PH, with an HHV of 75% qualifies for the tax credit. According to Drolet's website here https://www.drolet.ca/file/Drolet_Tax_Certificate.pdf the ESCAPE 2100 qualifies for the tax credit, but according to the EPA-Certified Wood Stove Database, the stove doesn't qualify, so not sure what to make of that. I've read better reviews for the drolet models, but most of the PH reviews were older. What would you recommend, and are their other models I should consider?

EPA-Certified Wood Stove Database:
https://cfpub.epa.gov/oarweb/woodstove/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.searchresults&manufacturersid=0&bturange=0 BTUs - 100000 BTUs&efficiencytested=0 - 100&emissionrate=0 grams/hr - 10 grams/hr &fireboxvolume=0 Cubic Feet - 10 Cubic Feet&fireboxVolumeLower=0&fireboxVolumeUpper=10&heatoutputlower=0&heatoutputupper=100000&lu_appliancetypesid=5&lu_appliancesubtypesid=4&lu_fueltypesid=0&lu_testmethodsid=0&nspscompliance2020Only=off&recs2display=10&searchterms=&searchtype=advanced&z_outofproduction=0&sortby=EffSort&rec2startat=51

The Escape 2100 is a much larger stove with over 3.0 ft capacity. A better comparison would be the Drolet Escape 1800. The PH HWS-2200 is a decent mid-sized heater. Its firebox is a bit compromised for N/S loading by an inward metal lip. This raises the last inch or so of a N/S loaded split up off of the firebox floor. It's really more of an E/W loader. The tested capacity of 2.0 cu ft for this stove is less than the usable 2.2 cu ft capacity of the Drolet 1800 which can load a 17" split N/S.

Do you want/need a medium or large stove? Drolet is rating their stoves a bit differently, but they will issue a tax credit certificate at least until the IRS reviews and weighs in on this.

The Escape 2100 is a much larger stove with over 3.0 ft capacity. A better comparison would be the Drolet Escape 1800. The PH is a decent mid-sized heater. It's firebox is a bit compromised for N/S loading by an inward metal lip. This raises the last inch or so of a N/S loaded split up off of the firebox floor. It's really more of an E/W loader. The tested capacity of 2.0 cu ft for this stove is less than the usable 2.2 cu ft capacity of the Drolet 1800 which can load a 17" split N/S.

Do you want/need a medium or large stove? Drolet is rating their stoves a bit differently, but they will issue a tax credit certificate at least until the IRS reviews and weighs in on this.
I live in southeast PA and my home is about 2,000 square feet. The larger 2100 is still relatively inexpensive, so I figured I'd just choose that, but the 1800 would probably suffice. What brand do you think is better? Assuming both get the tax write-off, which brand would you recommend. I'm also open to other brands.

I'm not necessarily short on money, but I'm having a hard time rationalizing buying a more expensive non catalytic model, when I'm having a hard time seeing any real difference between them. For example the Osburn 3300 is over a grand more than the drolet, and it seems like pretty much the same stove. I'm also seeing a lot of negative reviews for stoves twice as expensive(VC comes to mind).

What style of house is this? How open is the area where the stove will be located to the rest of the house?

What style of house is this? How open is the area where the stove will be located to the rest of the house?
It's a split level house. The stove will be located in the lowest level/basement area, which connects to a garage. Although I wouldn't technically call it a basement since it is above ground. lowest area/basement is around 20X20. 2nd level is an open floor plan with kitchen/ living room which is twice the size of the basement, then third level is where the rooms and bathrooms are

If the stove area has a large wide stairwell up to the 1st floor it should heat pretty well. The 2nd floor will probably be cooler.
The larger stove will give you a longer burntime and more top-end heat.

Stove prices have really gone up this year. The big Drolet Legend III now lists for $2099. The Osburn equivalent price stove is $3499. The Osburn has nicer trim, a heat deflector lid, and a C-Cast baffle as compared to the vermiculite baffle on the Drolet.

Other large non-cat stoves to consider are the Lopi Liberty, Pacific Energy Summit, Quadrafire 5700, and the Jotul F55.

If the stove area has a large wide stairwell up to the 1st floor it should heat pretty well. The 2nd floor will probably be cooler.

Stove prices have really gone up this year. The big Drolet Legend III now lists for $2099. The Osburn equivalent price stove is $3499. The Osburn has nicer trim, a heat deflector lid, and a C-Cast baffle as compared to the vermiculite baffle on the Drolet.

Other large non-cat stoves to consider are the Lopi Liberty, Pacific Energy Summit, Quadrafire 5700, and the Jotul F55.
I'm seeing the drolet legend 3 for $1,700 and escape 2100 is $1,800($1,850 with Brush nickel trim), while the osburn 330 is $2,550 - $3,000. All the others you mentioned seemed to be well over $3,000. Pleasant Hearth HWS-2200 is even cheaper, at 1,350. Just not sure of the quality of the product

Actually begreen was on the osburn website and 3300 has gone up another 200.its gone up a grand in the last year

I'm seeing the drolet legend 3 for $1,700 and escape 2100 is $1,800($1,850 with Brush nickel trim), while the osburn 330 is $2,550 - $3,000. All the others you mentioned seemed to be well over $3,000. Pleasant Hearth HWS-2200 is even cheaper, at 1,350. Just not sure of the quality of the product
Yes, I gave you current retail pricing from their websites. There are better prices for sure, particularly if the company has older stock. The Pleasant Hearth stove is much smaller in capacity, so it's not a fair comparison. The other stoves mentioned are a real step up in quality and will cost more.

Yes, I gave you current retail pricing from their websites. There are better prices for sure, particularly if the company has older stock. The Pleasant Hearth stove is much smaller in capacity, so it's not a fair comparison. The other stoves mentioned are a real step up in quality and will cost more.
I'm not claiming to be an expert in wood stoves, but how does a 1,400 dollar medium sized PH stove have and HHV of 76 %, but the medium sized equivalents of the brands you mentioned, which are well over twice as much as the PH don't qualify and have a much lower HHV?

It seems like most people buy stoves to save money on heating, and so it seems that most people should care most about how efficient a stove is. So I'm just not understanding why people would pay so much more money for a less efficient stove.

Some test within a percentage point of 75%. It's an arbitrary stick in the ground. A difference of 3% or so is not a big deal when compared to the longevity of the stove components, frequency of maintenance, quality in details, aesthetics, clearances, support, etc. Note that it's easier to make a small to medium-sized stove more efficient than a large stove.

This is not to knock the PH. Like cars, people have all sorts of reasons for a stove being the best for them. If that is what works best for your budget, then go for it.

Reactions: EbS-P