pleasant hearth pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sell the Cabinet one at work... haven't had anybody have an issue with them so far this year. But last year, was pretty bad. Returned quite a few for all sorts of issues.

mostly seemed to be control board. I'd also be lying if I said GHP Group the manufacturer was of much help. Every time I have to call them I sit on hold for 45 minutes.

there are some other threads about these. mostly about the burn pot design . iirc, it uses a period of increased air flow to clear the pot. this method is used to good effect (i am told) on other stoves, but i gathered the lack of holes in the bottom of the pot was kind of self defeating.
i've never seen one in person, but i have looked online and it really seems like a heatilator minus the best bits. i.e. no quad burn pot etc...

the non tube/flat plate heat exchange method, and the pretty much exact same three section back baffles are just like the heatilator.
my advice as a heatilator owner would to be get a heatilator and not the pleasant hearth if those are your two choices.
certainly if the prices are comparable.

if i was buying again now with four years of learning under my belt, i would at least look at used stoves too.
though the PS50 has been dependable and heats my house all by itself.
i'm going to upgrade the exhaust blower in the spring, but the newer quads use the same motor too.
http://www.eastcoasthearth.com/prod...lade-ga-exblw-pp7902-6-unihub-6-lythermgasket

Last edited:
I have the PH50CAB model and it runs like a champ. I see people complaining about the burn pot design but I have had no issues with mine. I empty the burn pot and clean the glass daily and then do a thorough cleaning on weekends. I am heating a 10yr old well-insulated 2,700 sq ft home from a sunroom adjacent to my kitchen/living room. I push the heat out of the room with a ceiling fan on high and then I run my furnace fan 24/7 with all the vents closed on the first floor. My first floor stays around 66-70 and upstairs around 62-66 depending on outside temp. So far this year has only gone as low as 20 a few nights and was still very toasty inside. Can't give any experience on teens or single digits yet. Waiting to see what this puppy will do for me when that hits. Haven't had to use my oil furnace at all this season, expect for the fan. I use a little over a bag a day depending on temps. Some days in the 40s I barely even use half a bag. I'm very happy with my stove so far, but it has only been about a month since I got it. Time will tell.

I'm on my second season with this model. Overall a good stove and can heat a good amount of square feet but as St Earl mentioned, the burn pot design isn't the best. The "purge" method where the exhaust fan ramps up does nothing because a) its not strong enough and b) there are no holes in the bottom of the burn pot. How is the ash going to eject from the burn pot if there are no holes in the bottom? On the really cold days where the stove is working hard, I have to clean out the burn pot every 8 hours because it gets full of ash.

I have had no major problems with it so far but the bearing on the convection blower went bad last season and the new one is now going bad as well. It's been easy getting the replacement bearing from GHP Group. Good customer service so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.