Please help me Identify this Wood Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

svidaurri

Nov 18, 2020
Clovis, California
Hello,

We bought our house and I need help identifying this wood stove insert. It looks like a country flame or Lopi but I can't find the exact model. There is etching on the glass (scroll work) with the word ultimate on the front glass door. The bypass is located above the temp gauge and the top of the stove. (I've included a picture of the stove and the catalyst for easier identification). The problem I'm having is smoke buildup and drafting problems. I'm thinking that the catalyst might be the problem due to age and wear. I would like to replace the catalyst to see if it improves the performance of this stove but I don't know where to start without the Make and Model of stove. I really appreciate any help or info that anyone can provide!!
20201118_074125.jpg20201118_075441.jpg20201118_083021.jpg

It resembles an early Country Flame, but key details are wrong. Notably, the short porthole side windows and the door is hinged on the wrong side. I was thinking this looks a bit like an early High Valley, but unsure. You might be able to take the exact dimensions of the cat to a site like Midwest Hearth or Condar.

Last edited:
Thank you!! Super frustrating!! I really want to burn but the smoldering and drafting problems are something that I've never dealt with my wood stoves. The chimney is clean but the catalyst looks in old shape but not horrible?? I'll check out the site you mentioned but if anyone else can identify this stove I'd love to get the manual for specifics!! Many thanks!!

I have never seen one, but Heatilator had a very early catalytic insert the Arrow 25 or 2500. It had a 3 part catalyst like this in a screened metal box. I stumbled on this looking for info on this early insert. You could contact Woodmans to see if they recognize it. If so, let us know.

You may be able to ID the insert by pulling it out and checking the cabinet for a UL tag on the sides or back.

Thank you!! Super frustrating!! I really want to burn but the smoldering and drafting problems are something that I've never dealt with my wood stoves. The chimney is clean but the catalyst looks in old shape but not horrible?? I'll check out the site you mentioned but if anyone else can identify this stove I'd love to get the manual for specifics!! Many thanks!!

Is the Cat plugged when holding it to a light and looking through it? If it is nice and open your smoldering and draft trouble are caused by something else. If it's plugged you could try gently blowing it out with compressed air. Even if the cat is not lighting up it should not impede smoke passage or alter your draft. Is there a plugged screen on your chimney cap by chance? Gotta ask.... Have you confirmed that you wood is dry enough to not smolder and smoke excessively? These are a few things to confirm.

Hello,

We bought our house and I need help identifying this wood stove insert. It looks like a country flame or Lopi but I can't find the exact model. There is etching on the glass (scroll work) with the word ultimate on the front glass door. The bypass is located above the temp gauge and the top of the stove. (I've included a picture of the stove and the catalyst for easier identification). The problem I'm having is smoke buildup and drafting problems. I'm thinking that the catalyst might be the problem due to age and wear. I would like to replace the catalyst to see if it improves the performance of this stove but I don't know where to start without the Make and Model of stove. I really appreciate any help or info that anyone can provide!!
View attachment 267137View attachment 267138View attachment 267139
Is the insert hooked to a liner that runs from the stove out the top of the chimney?

I have never seen one, but Heatilator had a very early catalytic insert the Arrow 25 or 2500. It had a 3 part catalyst like this in a screened metal box. I stumbled on this looking for info on this early insert. You could contact Woodmans to see if they recognize it. If so, let us know.

You may be able to ID the insert by pulling it out and checking the cabinet for a UL tag on the sides or back.

Thank you for the link!! I will contact them and see if they can help me. I'll update when I find out.....

It resembles an early Country Flame, but key details are wrong. Notably, the short porthole side windows and the door is hinged on the wrong side. I was thinking this looks a bit like an early High Valley, but unsure. You might be able to take the exact dimensions of the cat to a site like Midwest Hearth or Condar.

Thank you I'm going to check those sites out and see if they can help!!

Is the Cat plugged when holding it to a light and looking through it? If it is nice and open your smoldering and draft trouble are caused by something else. If it's plugged you could try gently blowing it out with compressed air. Even if the cat is not lighting up it should not impede smoke passage or alter your draft. Is there a plugged screen on your chimney cap by chance? Gotta ask.... Have you confirmed that you wood is dry enough to not smolder and smoke excessively? These are a few things to confirm.

The Cat is NOT plugged but there was a lot of fly ash packed around the Cat when we pulled it out. We vacuumed and cleaned the area so that there is no more loose ash. The Cat is black, has minor flecks missing. When I've burned I've never noticed it red and it is right in the front of the stove when you open it up so I think it would have caught my eye. I've had a hard time keeping the stove above 700 so I'm thinking a new Cat will at least hopefully solve the heat issue and fingers crossed our draft issue. The chimney cap is clean and the lining have been professionally cleaned and still smoking/backdraft. The wood is seasoned and very dry. Thank you for your thoughts I appreciate it because I really want to use our fireplace this year!!

Open a window or door near the stove next time you light it or reload. See if that affects your issue. What type of liner is it hooked to? Stainless flex? Masonry? Curious.

Have you confirmed how dry the wood really is? If you recently bought the house, where did the wood come from? Worth a check? Your situation sounds like wet wood.

Last edited: