Please help - new furnace questions - regards creasote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattinpa

Oct 25, 2008
Western Pa
Please excuse my ignorance as I continue to learn the art of wood heat. I have now been burning for 4 days
with my new Add on furnace. Works fantastic! By adjusting the top draft to the three-quarter position, I am starting to
get 5-7 hours out of a loaded firebox. My home is also staying between 75-78 degrees, which sits well with the lady
of the house. Problem is, I noticed today that the top of the firebox is not just blackened, it's got creasote stuck
to the walls and it turned my viewing window a nasty dark amber color. Question 1 - Am I simmering my fire to
long instead of letting it burn - hence the buildup? I'm guessing a wood furnace should not have this happen.
Question 2 - Is there anything I can do to clean the glass? It looks pretty permanant to me, but what do I know?

My wood measures between 17-22 percent, so I know I'm using good dry wood.

if your wood is dry for sure then you are burning it too cold. try burning throughout the day when you are around with smaller splits and not loading it all the way and leave the air open and you should see the glass clear up on its own.

In a month or so you may want to brush your chimney out. Just to be on the safe side.

I agree that you are burning too cold.

Matt

So do I correct this by letting it burn with more air throughout the burn, or just start it with more air and let it
catch real good, and cut it back?

^ by using more air you have a hotter fire and way less creosote.

I agree with the hotter fire but I would still bet there is something wrong with the wood. I don't use MM, I simply let the wood season for 2 years or longer. Result? No creosote.

I've been looking into wood furnaces and most of them are smoke dragons. They don't have cats or a secondary air system.

Those or going to dirty up chimney quicker than a stove anyway. I would say burn hotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.