Please Help- Unknown stove and major issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LeatherFace

Oct 30, 2017
Michigan
I am glad to have come upon such an awesome forum. I am new to pellet stoves, here is my story.

I won a pellet stove at an auction, nothing was known about it. It is huge I'm assuming between 2 and 400 lbs. I have new pellets and have thoroughly cleaned this thing by way of removing everything.
Following YouTube videos meticulously.
I can't burn without the hopper chute going up in smoke. 2 questions,
1, I have searched high and low and there are no metal stampings anywhere on the unit. Does anyone recognize this model?
There was zero information on the auction so no manual or anything. I have no idea the make model or manufacturer.

2, the pellets are getting stuck near the exit of the chute. Then the fire lights em inside and next thing you know hoppers smoking bad and the pellets are stuck.
I have no manual or diagram of how to even use this stove. I can't figure out why the pellets are stickin. There is a bit of a ridge before exit that feels like a weld bead. Should I grind that down?

Any and all help is appreciated. With that said I just moved to an old Uninsulated farm house and I need the efficiency of this stove. The hour I got it to run great was amazing. 35 degrees tonight and I am tired of spending $7.50 a day on kerosene.
I love this stove and I have done so much to it I will do whatever it takes to make it run efficiecient.
Here are some pics.

IMG_20171030_201737220.jpg
IMG_20171030_201737220.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171030_201808988.jpg
    IMG_20171030_201808988.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20171030_201822223.jpg
    IMG_20171030_201822223.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20171030_201832006.jpg
    IMG_20171030_201832006.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 207
Hi and welcome! I have seen a stove like that on the local Craigslist. It was listed as a Dove-tek. Maybe that info will help.

Reactions: FirepotPete
I hate to say it, but cut your loses and start looking for a newer pellet stove. You are going to have trouble finding parts and support for it. Additionally, does it have the safety sensors that most modern stoves have now? How safe is it?

Jonkman I wish I could buy you a beer my friend. thank you so much for giving me the answers I need. I went to the grain elevator this morning and I am burning corn atm. in frickin believable. I am burning corn lol. I love it.
Vinny it has been operating now for about 2 hours. seems to be operating smoothly even though it is a little loud. I'm just happy to have heat. I probably will only run it during day until I get detectors and stuff for safety. the fans are dayton and should be easy to find aftermarket replacements I'd think. I follow what you are saying though. I am new to this so if this winter goes good I'll go ALL in next year. you guys are amazing thank you so much for the info.
IMG_20171031_114406423.jpg
IMG_20171031_125916478.jpg

Reactions: vinny11950
Hey guys just an update to say all has been great. I am mixing pellets with great success. 2 parts corn 1 part wood pellet.

I have a question about efficiency, I have 2 air intake vents on the bottom back of stove, the right side intakes air that goes to the burn pot and out the chimney, the left side intakes air to 2 blowers that vent out of the top front of unit.

I want to intake air from my garage to the stove, do I add it to both sides or just the side that goes out chimney?

The intakes on the stove are rectangle as well, will home depot have a fitting piece or will I need to bend my own sheet metal?

Thank you so much for the info. I'm pellet/Corn for life....

The left side intake that goes to the 2 blowers and vents to the top is the exchange air from the room that is warmed up by the stove and then thrown back out by the blowers - you want that air to be room air - so leave as is.

The air that goes to the fire pot is the combustion air and (depending on the stove) can come from the room or from the outside (often called Outside Air Kit - OAK), in your case the garage. See if you can fab a metal collar from the stove to a metal flex hose that can bring the air in from the garage. You want metal just in case the stove ever back fires into the intake hose.

Jonkman I wish I could buy you a beer my friend. thank you so much for giving me the answers I need. I went to the grain elevator this morning and I am burning corn atm. in frickin believable. I am burning corn lol. I love it.
Vinny it has been operating now for about 2 hours. seems to be operating smoothly even though it is a little loud. I'm just happy to have heat. I probably will only run it during day until I get detectors and stuff for safety. the fans are dayton and should be easy to find aftermarket replacements I'd think. I follow what you are saying though. I am new to this so if this winter goes good I'll go ALL in next year. you guys are amazing thank you so much for the info. View attachment 202090 View attachment 202091

Glad I could help, glad you got it working, stay warm and be safe!