Please help with tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jbart

Oct 17, 2022
Michigan
I had a neighbor offer me some wood that he had cut down about a year ago. I am not real good at identifying trees by their bark and was wondering if someone could help me out. Thanks!
IMG_20230319_115823.jpg

IMG_20230319_115846.jpg

Reactions: patrickk222
My first though was that it was white oak.
Bark has characteristic scaly/ platey bark.
When you split it it should have a delightful aroma (think bourbon).

Thanks for the info!. I have 3 10ft logs all about 18-19in wide not including the bark. Should I chop them up for firewood or would they be worth selling to a mill?

Make it into firewood. If it is a tree from the city/town mills
will not buy it. If they hit a nail or some kind of steel it with ruin a very expensive saw blade

Looks like White Oak, excellent firewood. Cut, split and stack then let it sit for two years and you will enjoy wonderful heat.

Mighty White, the King of all Firewoods--grab it all! 👍 If it's crumbly, the sapwood might scrape off with a hatchet blade. I get a lot of Oak here, and recently picked up a little top-handle saw that makes it a breeze. But either way, if it doesn't crumble off easily, I don't bother..it isn't going to hurt anything.
Another way to ID Oak is the "medullary rays," light-colored lines radiating out from the center of the round. They aren't visible in most woods, but you'll most times be able to see them in Oak. Your second pic shows them faintly. On a fresh end-cut you'll likely see them more distictly.
white oak....it should have a delightful aroma (think bourbon).
Right. I often smell that aroma, but I don't cut wood all that often. 😏 Sometimes when I'm cutting White Oak, I'll think of beer..

004.jpg