Please recommend a wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grkmec

Nov 11, 2007
Stamford, CT
Just bought a new house. First floor is about 2200 square feet. It has a fieplace that is 33.5" wide, 37" high and 25.75" deep. Its centrally located on the first floor in the biggest room of the house.... like 35' x 15'. Would like to get a larger sized fireplace wood insert that can heat the whole 1st floor. This is a modern, newly built house and my wife will only allow something sleek looking that will not stand out too much. I want something that is going to be very efficient with a long burn time so its low maintenance, high heat. What models do you suggest we look at? Also, please asume I have infinite access to wood.

grkmec said:
Just bought a new house. First floor is about 2200 square feet. It has a fieplace that is 33.5" wide, 37" high and 25.75" deep. Its centrally located on the first floor in the biggest room of the house.... like 35' x 15'. Would like to get a larger sized fireplace wood insert that can heat the whole 1st floor. This is a modern, newly built house and my wife will only allow something sleek looking that will not stand out too much. I want something that is going to be very efficient with a long burn time so its low maintenance, high heat. What models do you suggest we look at? Also, please asume I have infinite access to wood.

There are so many to choose from. You should pick one that you like the look of primarily.

Avoid the VC Winterwarm stoves.

Some attributes and hilights.

Lopi, avalon, country stoves, and many others out there... produce great quality stoves.. all look pretty similar.

Jotul - nice looking stove, cast front that looks great

Hearthstone - a unique soapstone stove. great reputation

Osburn - Bay window, great fireview.

at 2200 sqft, you should look a pretty large stove. I have an Osburn 1800 and I wish I had bigger.

I think you need to go to some dealers and get an idea of which units you like, and also which dealers you like.

I'm sure others will be along soon, but if you don't want to wait (and even then you should do it), search the forums for "Best insert". You'll find lots of previous posts on the topic and get an idea for the types of criteria that go into picking an insert.

Also, a Wiki article on the topic was just put up by Craig here.

The Avalon is a nice looking stove. If the wife approval is high, go with it, since it's also a good stove.

One mistake I made was over analyzing the problem. If it fits, your wife likes it, then just get it. You won't be dissapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.