Plugging existing clean out because of SS liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I got the idea today that since I lined the chimney, I have no real need for the clean out in the basement. Can I just shove some insulation inside of it to help create a dead air space in the existing flue? It is about 4 feet from the liner itself.

That's what I did.

Excellent! I smeared some refractory cement all around the door last night and almost just covered the door with it, but am reluctant to do so for some reason. I'll grab a piece of insulation tonight and stuff it in there. I might also get some kaowool and stuff it around the liner right beneath the top plate. I think that would be beneficial also in creating a dead air space around that liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.