Poison ivy was on wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctswf

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2014
ct, usa
Last year i cut split and stacked some type of cherry in my yard. At the time i pulled off some very thick vines not thinking much of it. Some vines were virginia creeper, some poison ivy. Some where really grappled on there, i had peaked them off. I assumed it was mostly virginia creeper. Up to 1inch diameter

Now that i have learned how deadly burning poison ivy is im concerned. I have 1.5 cords split and stacked, here are 2 pictures. Some of it has sort of small stringy things on it, some small vines, some has that thicker "fossel" left over.

The few pieces i just looked at, the bark fell off pretty easy. Im thinking as i restack this near my house for the winter i will have to knock off every single piece of bark that has any sign of past vines on it.

Does that sound like a safe plan? I camt really say how well these pics represent the pile as a whole

Attachments

• IMG_20161023_142050~01.jpg
    IMG_20161023_142050~01.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_20161023_141956.jpg
    IMG_20161023_141956.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 657
I usually just rip them off. I always end up with poison ivy rash lol. Debarking should do the trick.

Debark is the best way.

i had the same problem, i chipped off all the bark that had poison ivy and dumped back in the woods. was a pain in the ass, but better safe then sorry. get some nice elbow length rubber gloves and go to town

Thats what ill do then, hopfully its mostly clean, i just dont remember i think i was so excited with a new splitter and a downed tree on my own yard i just went to town on it

Thats what ill do then, hopfully its mostly clean, i just dont remember i think i was so excited with a new splitter and a downed tree on my own yard i just went to town on it
i actually use my log splitter to take slits of bark off of the rounds and tossed them in teh back yard. lots of wood lost, but better safe than sorry

Those two types don't look like PI to me. Ivy has very fine hairs coming off the vine to grab onto the tree. That looks like creeper and grape vine to me. Even if it has a bit of Ivy, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd handle it with gloves but that's about it. I think when people get Ivy smoke in their lungs, it happens when they are burning large stands of live plants and directly inhaling the smoke.

You are right i totally forgot i found a bunch of grape vines around there this year. The little vine in the picture is definitely that.

I also think the other one is creeper, im going to go through it this weekend. I know i pulled ivy off some of the logs i just dont recall how much, it was mostly dead from the tree guys by the time i got to it

Ivy smoke- oils hang in the air and can be dangerous several miles away depending ,of course, on the susceptibility of the victim. PI in the lungs is extremely bad.

The next question is, since we're all stacking this stuff for several years, has the urishol (the irritating oil in poison ivy) all dried up and become inactive by the time we actually get around to burning it?

Wouldn't burning PI in a modern EPA stove destroy the urishol? I know that an open fire burning it can be dangerous but I wonder about a wood stove?

The next question is, since we're all stacking this stuff for several years, has the urishol (the irritating oil in poison ivy) all dried up and become inactive by the time we actually get around to burning it?
They say it can last several years but I would think it would absorb into the bark and wouldn't be concentrated on the surface...probably much less of a threat after a couple years stacked.
Wouldn't burning PI in a modern EPA stove destroy the urishol? I know that an open fire burning it can be dangerous but I wonder about a wood stove?
I would think the urushiol would be consumed to a degree but some probably would still be in the smoke. I generally pull the vines off the trunks when I fall the tree, before bucking, so I don't think I end up with much of the oil on the wood, or much in my smoke...not like you would if you got it from a dealer who bucked with the vines still on and smeared the oil all over the ends of the rounds. Long ago, I cut through an ivy vine like that, then picked up the rounds two at a time, one in my hands and the second one on top, held in place by my bare inner forearms. DOH! <> Needed a cortisone shot to get rid of it that time.

They say it can last several years but I would think it would absorb into the bark and wouldn't be concentrated on the surface...probably much less of a threat after a couple years stacked.
I would think the urushiol would be consumed to a degree but some probably would still be in the smoke. I generally pull the vines off the trunks when I fall the tree, before bucking, so I don't think I end up with much of the oil on the wood, or much in my smoke...not like you would if you got it from a dealer who bucked with the vines still on and smeared the oil all over the ends of the rounds. Long ago, I cut through an ivy vine like that, then picked up the rounds two at a time, one in my hands and the second one on top, held in place by my bare inner forearms. DOH! <> Needed a cortisone shot to get rid of it that time.
Ouch!

Sunlight- well aspects of the spectrum like with rubber and plastics breaks down the oils molecular structure takes awhile though. Yep oils in stems vines leaves can be irritating 3-4 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.